Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Espo66

Fly ID Help - Updated!

On 6/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, Espo66 said:

4 (c)Would really love to know what this is, there is a whole box of them!

Flies_size4CU.thumb.jpg.ff99e1a0d46445ca4741859c8aee604e.jpg

Looks like a Yellow Sally imitation (the flies themselves are called Yellow Sallies which are smallish yellow stoneflies) 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:06 AM, samsonboi said:

Looks like a Yellow Sally imitation (the flies themselves are called Yellow Sallies which are smallish yellow stoneflies) 

Holy crap! I'm not so sure that the fly imatation looks too much like one, but in another thread I was asking about a bug I caught and when I googled "Yellow Sally" this came up:

110866083_YellowSally.thumb.jpg.9f0d83c00e738da988148119a0385a5e.jpg

And this is what I caught at the stream:

Sulfur2.thumb.jpg.345ccf65d238cab03fe5bdef03b06028.jpg

Sulfur1.thumb.jpg.b01a459177894afeae0aea0187fe73f2.jpg

So cool! Thanks for the info, its a stonefly for sure. Its all coming together. LOL.

55 minutes ago, Daneal said:

By the way you've a good collection!

Thanks Daneal, Having fun and hope to tie up where things are missing.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:24 PM, cphubert said:

Espo66 salmon fishing in CT is alive and well for the moment. CT DEEP releases the brood stock from the salmon restoration project in two rivers and 3 or 4 lakes annually in the fall after the spawn milking. I travel north as salmon is my favorite gamefish and release everything up north for their spawning efforts., but will kill a few fish in CT. The fall season starts with catch and release until December then a 1 fish per day season until they are gone. They have discussed extending the catch and release longer we will have to wait and see. The rivers chosen are due to the fact they are dammed to hold the fish from escaping into the wild.  So true about the efforts to restore the Connecticut river and its tributary's to a wild salmon. I am a life member of the Connecticut River Salmon Association  as well as the Atlantic Salmon Federation and have watched with sorrow as the returns and project died a slow death. Some get excited seeing a wild salmon reed in the Farmington river but it is most likely the last of a few fishes efforts.   Can only hope that nature has a way of fixing what we destroyed, but the stocks are in danger all the way through salmo salar's current waters.

This is amazing info. I only referenced what I read, but you are right there in the thick of things. Thank God for the efforts of people like yourself!

19 hours ago, Espo66 said:

This is amazing info. I only referenced what I read, but you are right there in the thick of things. Thank God for the efforts of people like yourself!

Thanks, but I do not deserve that much credit. A lot of members are more actively involved with the "salmon in school's " program with continued education of our young minds so they can understand the fishes and conservation efforts. The project is still alive, with the salmon in the schools and other restoration projects, not just salmon, also herring and the sea run trout. It took years(started in 1967) to develop the Connecticut River salmon stock and they are wise to keep it going, we could not duplicate the same effort today. You are not far from the Naugatuck river that and the Shetucket on the eastern side of CT are stocked in the fall. Hope to see you on the water with a bend in your rod.

4 hours ago, cphubert said:

Thanks, but I do not deserve that much credit. A lot of members are more actively involved with the "salmon in school's " program with continued education of our young minds so they can understand the fishes and conservation efforts. The project is still alive, with the salmon in the schools and other restoration projects, not just salmon, also herring and the sea run trout. It took years(started in 1967) to develop the Connecticut River salmon stock and they are wise to keep it going, we could not duplicate the same effort today. You are not far from the Naugatuck river that and the Shetucket on the eastern side of CT are stocked in the fall. Hope to see you on the water with a bend in your rod.

Thanks! Maybe I will put some of those old Salmon flies to good use!