Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

PlopFly

I'm good using different kinds of fishing gear.  If I want to use a minnow lure like the one above, I'll just go with ultralight spinning gear, rather than trying to adapt a fly to mimic the lure.

I hope it works for you, but doesn't "do" anything for me.

the whopper plopper has caught many fish .i bought one just cause i liked the name.  .it must be a good lure since all companies have copied it. just like the chatterbait.  i  am sure a fly company will make a plastic blade ,similar to the now extinct  action disc .. i tried making a plopper fly using a spin n glo body for the taill  ,didnt work

I'm with Mike, I use fly and spin gear with equal love and enthusiasm and have both on the boat anytime I go out. As I always say, life is to short to pigeonhole yourself. To me it's not a fly it's a lure no matter how it's cut up or how much foam is added to it. Good luck with it though, I think it will work great on light spinning tackle so I fail to see a reason for the need to bill it as a fly. 

I "tied" these up about 15 years ago.  Orvis is just so slow.  

Chartreuese Diver.jpg

Fire Tiger Wiggle Wart.jpg

Flies-25.jpg

IMG_0335.JPG

Was wondering where you been Philly.  Lil moral support around here amongst these hooligans!   RutRo dem treble hooks gonna trigger the fly/lure Natzis......😳

They don’t make a loud plop but are light and cut up.  Tryin to be a bug/fly...Next thing make them click more when you start the retrieve.  Prolly have to put rod under arm and use double hand strip to get the best. Other problem is the River2Sea plopper trailers I cut off were $3 apiece.  Be nice if had 3D printer or figure out how to make the tail blades outa sumthin.  I have got 6 last me thru this my latest fad👍😛

705342A0-2A1B-42FC-B2BE-C8D50F670975.jpeg

455859BE-80C1-49F9-90A9-18AF526E1830.jpeg

02712931-46B7-4411-8669-207FEE45DEF6.jpeg

You can buy the little spinners like the ones on Philly's Zara Spook/Devil's Horse mimic above.  They're inexpensive, lighter than the plastic bit you're using (I'd think) and "flashy."

That's not a Zara Spook,  Mike.  It's my attempt at a Smithwick Devils Horse.   There is a problem with using a propeller with a standard fly hook is that they twist the leader.  They work, see picture below, but it's a hassle.  I ended up taking the prop off all the flies including the one in the picture because it was such a hassle.  Years ago on another board a guy had tied up a Tiny Torpedo on standard fly hook.  I liked the idea and "tied" one up with the same result, a twisted leader.  I use the Tiny Torpedo with my spinning tackle and I so I watched the lure as I retrieved it and the lure doesn't run straight,  the body rotates from side to side, but I never had a twisted line when I used it.  So I made a couple up just like the real lure and didn't end up with twisted leader.  Here's one of them. 

IMG_0530_1 (2).JPG

P5050530 (2).JPG

When I went click popper crazy made these from lil crappie floats.   No twist problem but heavey except with the 10, 12wt for redfish and sea trout.  Robbed the  blades off DH.  Split ring can put fly on; used dressed hooks.   Never tried propeller/beads right on the hook.  I was having to drill the plastic beads to get over the barb anyway on the clickers.  Wanted my blade in front.  Gonna try some.  Hate to ruin more DHs though.   But those props  are very light.   Would make lighter bug...  They click as well as the unique sound that a prop has.  I opted for trailing spinner blade for the subsurface.  Reds like lotta vibration especially in stained water.   Would work for bass but I favor frog stuff for that mostly. 

Gotta put rod under arm and strip with both hands for steady retrieve.  Both work strip-stop/or fall and strip again most times.

E40DE6F7-43A0-4688-9E36-C449727ACD59.png

8110F328-E453-48E9-A12C-EC5B8306367C.png