Fly Tying

Hi everyone just checking does anyone use real wing and if what do you do with them I have about six set that I have and I have no use for them so if you have an idea please share. Thanks 

20200613_124719.jpg

hi try looking for a book (called fly tying tools and materials) by Helen Shaw it's fully ilustrated with b/white photographes from the tiers view point it's an old book but it's by an award winning fly tying tutor an american fly tier hope this help's

kind regards Steve

The little feathers at the elbow of the wing can be used for small soft hackle wets and flymphs. Bwo color and size

The coverts can be used as a variation for mallard coverts on wet winged flies and dry flies with upright wings, they seem a shade or two darker than mallard.

You can also peel the feather stems Neimeyer style for a dark gray barred body similar to that for a peacock quill.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=125132

Other creative uses,... Those green iridescent feathers also look neat for attractor type wets and flymphs, maybe over the back of a ribbed olive nymph.

Hi James,

The primaries are really good for wings on No Hackles and Henryville Specials. They'll work on just about any smaller sized patterns that call for quill wings. Greenwell's Glory dries or wet wings etc.etc.

Regards,

Mark

The white tipped could be used on McGintys like from Mallard pointers.

DC3D62E0-E9E3-4CD6-8129-717480934138.png

Thanks guys  these have been sitting in a sealed box for years never have used them I might give them a try

6 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks guys  these have been sitting in a sealed box for years never have used them I might give them a try

Honestly just use the feathers on whatever you want. Try tying softies and winged wet flies to match photos of emergers and nymphs (of any fly)- pictures YOU YOURSELF have taken. (As insects vary in coloration from stream to stream or even different parts of one stream, you need to tie to match the ones on the streams you fish.)

2 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Honestly just use the feathers on whatever you want. Try tying softies and winged wet flies to match photos of emergers and nymphs (of any fly)- pictures YOU YOURSELF have taken. (As insects vary in coloration from stream to stream or even different parts of one stream, you need to tie to match the ones on the streams you fish.)

Ah !  A young Ernie Schwiebert !

9 hours ago, Mogup said:

Ah !  A young Ernie Schwiebert !

Ha! I don't know about that. I don't do it much myself- I just look at the fly and tie something like it when I get home- but I thought it might be useful for James to try.  But I have a very good memory for details so I don't really need photos myself.