Fly Tying

Weaving...

Not sure I oughta post this maybe in the beginners section.   

Back in the 60’s in Wiesbaden, Gr.  I bought a Orvis Hellgramite at the American Rod-Gun Club and cut it apart to figure out how to weave the body.  Been awhile and ain’t got the right stuff but gave it a try.  Weave the black tubing or mono with the floss giving a shell like back and segmented underside.  To stiff to get nice body look.  There’s some fellas on here can do it heck of a lots better😏.  Sorry for substandard stuff.

54B460F7-AD54-41BA-BCE4-6A5DC4386D8F.png

7A9008A0-49BC-400F-A2CA-DC45FE11A940.png

47EB6A49-3771-4411-A38F-DF3F2B72CAB4.jpeg

As they say, "Ugly flies catch fish, too."   Just call 'em "Three-Mile-Island-grammites."  

I've watched the videos.  Had hooks in the vise, ready to try weaving.  Then decided against it.   

Keep up the practicing, sir, and I'm sure they'll look like you want, in no time!

They taught us how to weave a stone fly pattern in fly tying class I took years ago.  I think I did alright but it was too much work.  I don't remember it we used floss or thread for it.   You might try doing one with heavy thread till you get the motions down.  I equate to doing a decorative wrap on rod.  I agree with Bruce those will catch fish.  Most hellgramite patterns are ugly anyway.  If you ever find a live one.  Don't pick it up.  They bite.  I just reread your post.  Don't mix materials, denduke,  either use all tubing or all floss.

find a copy of The Master Weaver by George Grant covers many different fly body weaving techniques good book for instruction.

Hey call the first attempts the Twerking Hellgrammite!  My style of fly tying is to watch the fish laughing at my flies and try to hook em at their weakest moment and I've been practicing for almost 50 years!  I once hosted a swap called a Techniques Swap and woven bodies were one of the choices.  You'll get it.  Do try with good materials and your more than half way there - it does help.

Here's a stonefly pattern called the Dronestone that I tied with a woven abdomen. Compare it with photos of a natural stonefly nymph.

35555717882_bed039f752_z.jpg

37895622822_d7422208b8.jpg

35684733646_745274ce51_z.jpg

37216960014_32b886502a_z.jpg

35684733706_c36a39837e_z.jpg

I use the shuttle weave. In the shuttle weave, the threads interlock as they cross, and there is no need to tie a knot for every thread crossing. So it is much faster. It is also easier especially as the flies get smaller.

The shuttle weave using bobbins can be seen in this video by Aaron Jasper's. One key is to keep tension on the floss, and to pull away from you toward the woven areas so the next weave is tight against the previous. 

I use regular 6 strand embroidery floss I buy at Joannes or Michaels craft store. At about 3/$1 it is cheaper than fly tying floss. Unravel the floss into 2 or 3 strands depending on fly size and wind onto plastic sewing machine spools. Buy spools with rounded side edges sos they dons bite into your fingers as you apply tension,You will thank me later.

Wind the floss onto the spools by using a portable drill. Place the eraser end of a  sharpened pencil into the drill chuck. Force fit the plastic bobbin into the tapered end of the pencil end and wind away.

Putting the floss,  whatever on spools in bobbins nice tip!   All the pics are on another post. Using big cord for the top makes better segments than floss top and bottom.   The wire is craft wire mostly the tiny rib wire ain’t big enough for the sow bugs.   

454B4A44-EB4A-4C23-A2A0-EDCA9B1E6486.png

C10CAB15-90E1-48DF-8D02-CA6EBA77F295.png

5ACCDE99-BF09-445B-9500-D28BF90C7D3A.png

4920D3A0-C613-4465-ACE1-324299B13C00.png

36BE08AA-5D7C-41A1-A684-C4E7810ADDDF.png