Fly Tying

Another Sculpin

Here's another one

user posted image

After a few failed attempts at this critter with several "over the counter" body materials, I finally decided to make my own.

The body is a coarse grind of fox, woodchuck, muskrat and rabbit. The collar is dubbed rabbit guard hair and the head a finer grind of the above materials.

I also made some lighter dubbing out of fox belly and rabbit for the amber/cream colored forage. Can't wait to tie with it.

QUOTE (skunked @ Mar 22 2005, 08:28 AM)
nice fly shoe, what do you use for grinding?

Just an old coffee grinder wink.gif

Hey Smallie, FTB! laugh.gif

IT SLICES!... IT DICES!... IT CHOPS AND PUREE'S!

IT'S BASS-O-MATIC!!!

GOT PET HAIR PROBLEMS?

NO PROBLEM!... BASS-O-MATIC IT!

NEED TO GET RID OF THOSE UGLY VACUUM BAG CONTENTS?

NO PLACE TO PUT YOUR DRYER LINT?

BEARD TOO LONG?

FINGERNAILS AFFECTING YOUR CASTING?

NEED A CUP OF FRESH GROUND COFFEE BREWED?

JUST 3 EASY PAYMENTS OF $29.95! (plus shipping and handling of $12.95)

CALL NOW OR ORDER ONLINE AT WWW.SHOESNEWTOY.COM

or

JUST CALL 1-800-BASS-O-MATIC... OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!

AND

IF YOU CALL IN THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES, YOU WILL RECEIVE A SPECIAL BONUS!

A COMPLETE 20 YEAR SUPPLY OF WAX-O-DUB.... LOOKS JUST LIKE A TOILET RING.... BUT ACTS LIKE DUBBING WAX...!

ORDER NOW!!!!!

No.... I-come-from-France...... Consume mass quantities of liquified fermented barley.......

Yeah... from France... yeah.... that's it.... that's the ticket.... France... where I live with my wife..... Moan....uh.... Morgan Fairchild.... yeah... that's it..... Morgan Fairchild.... WHOM I've seen NAKED!......

Hi Shoe, First buggy fishee I've ever seen, great looking fly, nice shape, nice eye's, even looks realistic. Looks like you created a fantastic mix of materials, nice tying.

Graham

Thanks Guys

You won't believe the frustration I went through trying to obtain that look. I tried a dozen different materials including chenille, peacock, spun phylos and a number of dubbings, but creating bulk with the above materials was next to impossible and didn't seem very durable.

If some of you never tried blending your own dubbing, you should try it. It's a blast! smile.gif Coffee grinders are cheap and most of us have plenty skins. I started a while back trying to duplicate some squirrel nymphs, but it has infinite applications. It gives one a new appreciation of the combination of guard hair and underfur that each type of critter has. Woodchucks, mink, muskrats, opossum and squirrels are prime examples. My latest addition is a fox squirrel with a snow white belly. Can't wait to shave that critter ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Hey Arkie, you ain't right... help.gif blink.gif cool.gif

Shoe,

You're right..... I ain't..... laugh.gif

I've been growing my own dubbing for about 25 years now and didn't even know it... Now every time I trim my beard, I catch the trimmings in a ziploc bag. Makes really spikey dubbing in a mix of softer material... Only thing.... I can't get any color but GRAY!!!! help.gif mad.gif wheelchair.gif ive_been_ripped.gif