Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicente

most recent knife.

Just about finished with this one, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out, just needs pants and sharpening.  I felt like going America themed, American tanto blade shape, blue and white lizard skin which is made from aluminum honeycomb and resin red g10 liners, the blade steel is nitro-v stainless.

PSX_20200618_182153.jpg

PSX_20200618_182135.jpg

I like it !!!  

I might have asked before ... I can't remember.  Do you do any forging, or are your knives "removal"?  I really like that type blade, and the final shape  is top notch.

Thank you Mark.

I figured you would like the handle Mike, it's all blue and stuff, I do like this blade shape especially to make and look at i prefer a more traditional one for most things but these have their place too.

I don't forge much mostly just to put loops in the ends of a handle or do a hammered texture on a blade of a customer wants it. I am in a very high fire hazard area so smithing outside 6 months of the year isn't really safe and I don't have a shop I feel comfortable doing it in. I really enjoy the stock removal process anyways, and there is no performance difference between forged and stock removal.

6 hours ago, vicente said:

... there is no performance difference between forged and stock removal.

Yes, I agree with this statement, as far as casual use knives and such.  It wasn't a question of the quality ... but more along the lines of what I'm going to try once my workshop is up.

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

Yes, I agree with this statement, as far as casual use knives and such.  It wasn't a question of the quality ... but more along the lines of what I'm going to try once my workshop is up.

You'll want a lot of the same equipment for finishing forged blades as you would stock removal, a good belt grinder which is nice to have anyways, drill press buffer. You can heat treat basic steels in a forge but it's really hard to get good consistent results outside of the 1075-1084 steels as most require a precise soak at temperature I use a heat treat oven/kiln, I send my stainless and other steels that need an oxygen free environment and cryo out for heat treat, I could do them myself but after the cost of stainless steel foil and LN are accounted for it's pretty cheap to send in bulk.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this