Fly Tying
Landon P

IM FINALLY CATCHING FISH!

A very kind gentleman has been taking me out fly fishing and is so kind he gave me one of his outfits THANK YOU SCOTT! He took me out this morning and we did some nymphing and I got 7 trout in total. I feel bad because when he takes he doesn't even bring his rod out but that just might be what he does. I could not ask for anything better to do in my free time. 

image000000.jpg

image000003.jpg

image000002.jpg

image000001.jpg

Way cool Buddy. Be sure to be very appreciative to him, ask him if you can do anything for him. I sure you do, I don't even have to remind you. Anyway, good for you. OH, I know, tie him up a bunch of flies and surprise him with a nice box.

I am very appreciative but thank you for the reminder! I'm slowly taking note of the flies he uses so I cab get him a box.

Very cool. 

I had a mentor like that when I was your age.  He told me that he wasn't doing it for nothing: he expected that after I became an adult that I would do the same for the next generation.  Or as they say now, pay it forward.  By all means, tie him some flies and let you know you appreciate him now, but the best pay back you can give him is to remember to do the same in 20 years or so.

Those are some nice looking browns.

Nice fish!  Father's Day is coming up ... be sure to get him a card.  That's all he'll need.  Some guys just get a kick out of helping younger generations.  They have everything they need, and gifts from you just ... cheapen the deal.  A card, treating him like a father figure, that's the thrill they live for.

10 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Nice fish!  Father's Day is coming up ... be sure to get him a card.  That's all he'll need.  Some guys just get a kick out of helping younger generations.  They have everything they need, and gifts from you just ... cheapen the deal.  A card, treating him like a father figure, that's the thrill they live for.

Au, Contraire , Mon Ami, I love it when people I teach give me stuff, especially when they made it themselves. It don't cheapen nothing. (IMHO)

I'll bet the man got as much thrill if not more than you when you caught those fish !  Don't worry, he's surely had many years of fishing and probably someone like him taught him the initial ropes of it when he was young. Sometimes though we just get a heart for someone wanting to learn. Teach someone to fish and they can feed themselves and go on to teach others for a lifetime. Amen to that. And congrats !

On 6/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, redietz said:

Very cool. 

I had a mentor like that when I was your age.  He told me that he wasn't doing it for nothing: he expected that after I became an adult that I would do the same for the next generation.  Or as they say now, pay it forward.  By all means, tie him some flies and let you know you appreciate him now, but the best pay back you can give him is to remember to do the same in 20 years or so.

Those are some nice looking browns.

I did too. +1 on your post redietz