Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fearnofishrob

fearnofishrob

…….. new to this forum but not to fly fishing or tying...Ive been fly fishing for 60+ years and tying about as long

I recently found out that I have macular degeneration in both eyes and this bring me to asking for help....Do any of you know who makes "big eye" hooks and better still do you know the model number

Orvis carries a big eye hook with a straight eye and even though it probably doesn't make any difference I prefer a turned down eyes…. I have a tremendous problem trying to tie on a standard eye hook …..BUT if I can find a supplier of these hooks I can solve my problem...

Any help you folks can offer will be greatly appreciated....Thanks

Hi I ve done an google search for you hears what I found?

Wide eyed hooks Tenkara - bum.com.      Daiichi  110  Big eye - ring hook.      feather craft  in the states

Another piece of help  Orvis do a magnetic hook tier with a slot to lay the hook in and you keep a small magnifying glass with you to assist you  good luck hope this help's

Hey fearnofishrob ... welcome to the site.  Stay awhile and show us what you tie on those big eye hooks!

I was going to mention, if you're looking for larger hooks with even larger eyes ... stinger hooks are the way to go.  They eyes are designed to fit over the barb of the leading hook, then pinned in place with rubber band type material.  So the eyes are huge, comparatively.

But then I saw that you didn't want straight eyes, and I think all stinger hooks are straight eyes.

I built rod many years ago.  My wife found one of the lighted magnifying lights at a store. Bought it and I used it for wrapping rods and now use it for tying flies. Attached is a photo of the rod building setup.

056.jpg

I feel for you Fearn cause I too have macular degeneration but only in my left eye.  Forced me to sell my business prematurily.  I've got about 50 years of tying and fly fishing under my belt, but can only tie comfortably to a size 12, let alone tie anything smaller on.  Because I've lost some of my binocular vision therefore deapth perception I haven't fished a river in the past 3 years.  Just can't wade in anymore.

But to answer your question I saw this 20/20 Magnetic Tippet Threader on the HopperFishing.com website.  Its cheap enough and I think worth a try.  Hope this helps.  I also use 2.5 power loops.

Doug

Edited by Meeshka
Add more info

PS:  If you google 20/20 Magnetic Tippet Threader there are some good u tubes on how it works

Thanks for you your comment.....I have not tried the magnetic threader.....I did acquire a cap which is lighted and a set of hat eyes.....these things combined with the oversized eye hooks  has been a big help....I've slowed down alot in my fishing and purposely take more time doing these little jobs....

again thanks and tight lines...

You could also tie your flies with the tippet already on it, with a perfection loop at the connection end for you to easily attach to your leader. Carry them in a wallet. A tippet ring on the end of your leader would make that super easy.

If you don't lose or use a lot of flies this could work well.