Fly Tying
Landon P

MY RITE BOBBIN IS COMING TODAY!

Last week I ordered a Half Hitch Rite bobbin because I have been selling a good amount of flies and I thought I would reward myself with something fancy. I am going to use it as a reminder that hard work pays off. It is supposed to come today and if it does expect to see some new flies in June Flies From The Vise! 

Hard work pays off every time it's tried.  My Rite Bobbin is the first one I reach for -Enjoy!

Enjoy the Rite bobbin Landon. I have several that I use all the time.

Knot sure what you mean (pun intended). If you're talking about a half hitch tool you simply wrap one, two or three loops of thread over the front of the bobbin. Keeping the bobbin below the eye so you don't pull thread off eye slip the hole of the bobbin up and over the eye of the hook. Slide loop(s) of thread over eye where you would tie the whip finish. I use this a lot on dries where I always end up with a lot of hackle sticking out front of fly. Half hitch will push the hackle back where it should be and lock it in place. You can simply use a couple of half hitches, trim line and cement head or else use whip finisher to finish off head of fly. I use the half hitch front of bobbin a lot but don't really care for the Rite bobbin anymore than any other bobbin I have. In fact, changing thread colors is a PITA if you don't have a plethora of bobbins like I do so seldom change colors, just reach for a different color or weight thread.

So live and learn. Thanks Norm for making life harder for me. Now I have to go see if what I've been doing for years is not really a half hitch. I know I don't do it the way the video shows. I have to do some on a straight shank and see if they just pull of or unwind. I will try some of the loops shown in the video but don't know if it's worth the extra twist if how I've been doing it works.

Nick

Looks like the same result, just a more elaborate -- but more stable -- way to get the thread around the half hitch tool. Sure made my head spin, though.

9 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

@Mogup looks like a Pamola fly lathe. Neat, huh?

I googled it. Very cool vise.