Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alan Bloor

Alan Bloor

Hi

Recently bought off ebay an assortment of fly tying hooks among which are two packs of Drennan "Longbelly" hooks, sizes 6 and 14.

I cannot find any reference as to what longbelly hooks are for; clearly their shape is for a specific purpose but cannot find out anything about them (not even from Drennan)

can anyone help

Alan

google found this

Description clear1x1.gif clear1x1.gif

DBox_Border_Left_Top.gif clear1x1.gif DBox_Border_Right_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
The Drennan range of fly hooks has unfortunately been discontinued but we have bought all the remaining stock.  This means that some sizes in particular patterns are not available but we have the biggest selection available.

These hooks are superb and are made for Drennan by Kamasan - so they are identical to some of the Kamasan products but Drennan have a much bigger range of shapes and sizes

The Drennan UV Longbelly Hook.    A perfect hook with a special bent shank designed for living nymph or swimming nymph flies.

Chemically Sharpened, Needle Point, High Carbon Fly Hooks, Special swimming nymph type shape, forged, gold finish.
Box of 16 hooks.

I found a picture on eBay. They are simply one of many bent shank hooks on the market. I would use them for Nymphs and streamers, just as if they had a straight shank.