Fly Tying
TIER

I got a hook in my finger

This video will show you what happened.

When I tie any fly, the first thing is to mash the barb. Easier to remove from the fish and from me if needed. In 25 years of this, only had two hooks break.

I didn't tie the fly, but yeah, i should have cut the barb

I found a pair of needle nose pliers with smooth jaws, can't remember where. Harbor Freight? Bought just for mashing barbs. Don't have to cut off the barb.

Been to the ER twice over the years to have hooks removed... Not fun....  

Yes, every fly I hand one of my anglers has the barbs mashed down.  After a while you learn...

Big saltwater hooks are the worst. I took a 6/0 SS through the webbing between the thumb and forefinger once. We were offshore and had to cut it in half to get it out. That hurt like hell. I took a hook through the earlobe when a buddy was fly fishing. That also hurt badly. That had to be cut too.

I make it a habit to carry wire cutters with me when I fish

I've been to the emergency room once.  My hand slipped when I was tying a fly and I'd forgot to debarb the hook.  The ER doc was a fisherman, so he knew what to do. Also updated my tetanus vaccine for me.   The last time I got a hook in me it was at the end of long day of fishing and the wind was at my back a couple of years ago.  It was debarbed.  Didn't feel it going in.  Didn't feel it coming out when a friend removed it.  Just had a little bling for awhile.

Jerry's Earing (2).jpg

Always a good idea to wear some sort of eye protection. When I was in junior high, a guy came to school Monday morning with a big bruise under his right eye and a puncture "dot" very close to his eye. He got hit with a big sinker and hook. Fortunately, the hook didn't penetrate.

4 hours ago, flytire said:

ummm not good

internet photo

901285.fig.001.jpg

giphy-downsized.gif

yep nope

no way

I was fishing with spinning gear and a 1 inch floating rapala.  Got it caught in the tree.  Snapped the rod a couple of times to free it, and it worked.  The lure whipped through the air so fast I didn't even see it.  Hit my right square in the eye, or WOULD have.  Knocked the lens completely out of the sunglasses I was wearing.  I never fished without some kind of eye wear again, after that.  The above picture makes me VERY glad to have had on a pair that day.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, flytire said:

ummm not good

internet photo

901285.fig.001.jpg

giphy-downsized.gif

And that gentlemen is why we should always wear glasses while casting flies.

SOB. That eyeball pic is crazy. 

I got a size 16 stuck in my lip a few years ago. That sucked a bit but not that big a deal. Started tying Muskie flies a while back and just really got in the habit of mashing barbs. Good thing, too. Had the wife and kids out playing at the lake with those big flies a few weeks ago and got a freshly debarbed hook in the earlobe. No pain but at least the kids think I’m really tough now. 

Do you know the trick using line to pull the hook out, barbed or not?