Fly Tying

A valuable lesson learned. Theft and thievery have been a part of this world since the beginning of time so there's no reason to be any more or less sad. Your friends stuff is gone. It won't be found at a flea market or a pawn shop. Very very few stolen items are ever recovered at a pawn shop. Even less stuff is recovered when it does not bear a serial number or marks of identification. Without a mark or number individualizing an item there is no way to tell the difference between thousands of similar commodities openly bought and sold on the free market.  

Pawn shops are not even required to make a record of the stuff they buy and sell. They need only to record the stuff that is pawned. In other words they are only required to document property that is brought in and used as collateral for a short term loan. When the loan is repaid the property is then returned to the owner, or the person who pawned the item. If the loan is defaulted on then the shop can sell the item. Anybody can walk in a pawn shop and outright sell them an item and this is what thieves do so don't expect the existence of any record. 

My guess is it was stolen by a fisherman who will use what he stole. A junkie is only going to steal what he knows will get him drugs or that he knows he can sell immediately. They need the dope NOW and don't have time for flea markets and trying to sell fishing gear.

bummer about your friends stuff. Hopefully he is the wiser. 

On 6/27/2020 at 9:29 PM, Landon P said:

I am saddened by this world more and more everyday. Today I got news that my bestfriends fishing equipment was stolen. ALL OF IT! He set his bags and gear down to go fish this morning and came back and it was not there. He had a St Croix Rio Santo and a Echo Solo for the rods an reel. Very sad since he works his but off for every penny to buy fishing equipment. At least $1000 worth of lures, line, plastics, fly boxes, 2 bags and his fly rod combo and case GONE because someone had the willingness to take it. IF ANYONE AROUND KAYSVILE UTAH SEE THESE BAGS PLEASE PM ME!

Did he file a police report?

Have your friend check his Homeowners Insurance. Some policies include "Off premises" coverage.

Doesn't hurt to ask his agent.

Skinny

On 6/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, Landon P said:

Sorry didnt know about the gofundme rule 

Not a problem, I know you had no way of knowing. We just usually don't allow go fund me's here unless it's something really serious like a fund for a well known members family that is trying to pay for a funeral or something of that nature. You didn't know that though so no worries. Sorry about your friends stuff. People these days just plain suck, can't trust anyone anymore.

Theft has been around forever.  That is why it is one of the ten commandments. You have to keep stuff with you  and then it van be stolen by a pro. I am sorry for his loss.

Landon, I know it seems like a very sad thing but in the overall scheme of things it really isn't. In his life and yours there will be sickness and death, lost jobs, broken romances and probably a divorce (just by the odds). There will be stock market crashes, pandemics and other bad natural catastrophes so cheer up, both of you 😁, this is really nothing.

From now on just keep your stuff with you (both of you). I never heard of anybody just leaving their stuff under a bench.

The vast majority of people are really good, but you only really hear about the bad ones. Have you ever heard of "A serial walker of old ladies across the street" they do exist.

I personally don't feel right about people opening up Go-fund-me accounts for every little problem. It amounts to begging (to me). He made a mistake, he should stand on his own two feet, take responsibility for it and learn from it - do the work again earn the stuff again and get on with life. In the mean time, you don't need a thousand dollars worth of stuff to go fishing.

Just my two cents.

8 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Landon, I know it seems like a very sad thing but in the overall scheme of things it really isn't. In his life and yours there will be sickness and death, lost jobs, broken romances and probably a divorce (just by the odds). There will be stock market crashes, pandemics and other bad natural catastrophes so cheer up, both of you 😁, this is really nothing.

From now on just keep your stuff with you (both of you). I never heard of anybody just leaving their stuff under a bench.

The vast majority of people are really good, but you only really hear about the bad ones. Have you ever heard of "A serial walker of old ladies across the street" they do exist.

I personally don't feel right about people opening up Go-fund-me accounts for every little problem. It amounts to begging (to me). He made a mistake, he should stand on his own two feet, take responsibility for it and learn from it - do the work again earn the stuff again and get on with life. In the mean time, you don't need a thousand dollars worth of stuff to go fishing.

Just my two cents.

Never thought about it like that. So true thank you for the words of wisdom. 

2 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Never thought about it like that. So true thank you for the words of wisdom. 

You are welcomed, I'm glad I could cheer you up some. Do you feel better now? 😁

19 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

You are welcomed, I'm glad I could cheer you up some. Do you feel better now? 😁

very :)