Fly Tying
Landon P

I'm very sad :(

I am saddened by this world more and more everyday. Today I got news that my bestfriends fishing equipment was stolen. ALL OF IT! He set his bags and gear down to go fish this morning and came back and it was not there. He had a St Croix Rio Santo and a Echo Solo for the rods an reel. Very sad since he works his but off for every penny to buy fishing equipment. At least $1000 worth of lures, line, plastics, fly boxes, 2 bags and his fly rod combo and case GONE because someone had the willingness to take it. IF ANYONE AROUND KAYSVILE UTAH SEE THESE BAGS PLEASE PM ME! 

image1.png

image0.png

If anyone is interested in helping him get new gear a gofundme was created -

EDITED BY STAFF-  Sorry but go fund me posts are not allowed on this website

Wife and I are constantly saying this to each other.  One of us will say, "We hate people."  The other replies, "Yes, we do."

Dozens of times a day, something happens that brings up that exchange.  Your friend has suffered one of many.  On the other hand, and I only question this because it does play into the situation.  How far away was your friend from his equipment?  Did he try to hide it, unsuccessfully, while he was off fishing?  People can't be trusted, simple as that.

My sympathies with your friend's plight.

He said he put it under the seats on the peir were everything was out of view. He didnt go very far either. 

This is the spot. Doesn't seem like there is anywhere that a camera could be mounted. He went and fished the opposite bank and had an eye on his gear as he thought. said he only saw two people use the pier and they didnt notice his gear. Terrible.

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 9.40.57 PM.png

6 hours ago, Landon P said:

I am saddened by this world more and more everyday. Today I got news that my bestfriends fishing equipment was stolen. ALL OF IT! He set his bags and gear down to go fish this morning and came back and it was not there.

I'd bet it was taken by a non-fisherman... Best wishes towards getting any of it back. Check your local pawn shops.

Enticed by a pair of speakers in the back window of my car that surely looked more valuable than they actually were ($20 each), someone broke a window, ripped the speakers out,  and took a big tackle box underneath, which contained numerous  antique lures of sentimental value, and also my (only) tool box which (also) contained "heirloom" tools.  They probably got $100 for the lot, if that, at a pawn shop.  I think most people who steal like that are drug users...but I'm sure there are exceptions.

I went out the next weekend and bought a tool box and an english and metric set of socket wrenches. Good luck to your friend in rebuilding.  I recommend Ebay as a good place to amass fishing gear on a budget. It's not risk-free, but it works pretty well. I never really replaced my spinning gear that was taken (some people here are probably thinking, "good riddance!").  In all sincerity, I am sorry to hear about your experience.

Bill (Bill_729).

13 hours ago, Landon P said:

If anyone is interested in helping him get new gear a gofundme was created-

EDITED BY STAFF-  Sorry but go fund me posts are not allowed on this website

Who is "Boston Kennedy"?  They are listed as the organizer, is that the fella who supposedly got his stuff stolen?

Assuming this is not a scam (kinda has that flavor, though), perhaps you guys should check Lost & Found or other resources before you go off screaming "theft" and setting up GoFundMe pages.  Might have been found by someone who thought it was forgotten about, they may try to return it.  

As an aside, folks who own $1000-$2000 of recreational toys and leave it laying about unguarded rarely get much public support if it's reported stolen.  It might all be on the up & up here, but don't expect much public outpouring on the money side of things.    

What about his homeowner's policy? Hard to prove what he had in fishing tackle. I read about guides who fish the South Florida canals. They leave their windows open so thieves won't break them to see what's in the vehicle. Even if they don't steal anything, the windows are broken. My father once went fishing in a park in suburban Chicago. For some reason, he took ALL of his tackle, rods, etc. When he came back to their townhouse, he left everything in the back of their station wagon (read windows all around). Next morning, everything was gone! Insurance paid a fraction of what it was worth including some real old lures from the early 50s.

This is a hard lesson my young friend, I have seen and been part of loses and returns of lost fishing gear. The theft does not surprise me in the least, today fewer have the moral constitution to find fault with taking someone else's property. Some feel they deserve it or you can replace it so it is your fault for leaving it unattended, others I just don't understand. Different times today. Never fish with more equipment than you or your fishing party can control.

On the bright side I once left my vest on the bank of the river where I was loading my canoe on the truck and drove off leaving it there, found my error the following day when I went to put it on to fish a river. My older mind realized what I had probably done and returned to the spot to find nothing, upset about my loss and trying to remember all the years of accumulation I had in that vest and planning to replace it was mind numbing. I purchased a new vest and a few things I needed and figured it would take a few years to fill the vest. I was overwhelmed a week later to receive a box in the mail from a fellow fisherman that found it on the bank. This good fellow found one of my old licenses with my address and mailed it to my home. I contacted him and offered a reward for being honest but he said it was the right thing to do and refused my offer,  including the cost of postage. I did send him a nice gift card and a thank you note for being the person he was.

The bad and good side of people and fisherpersons. 

4 hours ago, knotjoe said:

"Boston Kennedy"?  

He is Carson's (Friend got his stuff stolen) friend from school that often fish together at that same spot and go to school together. Sorry didnt know about the gofundme rule 

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

This is a hard lesson my young friend, I have seen and been part of loses and returns of lost fishing gear. The theft does not surprise me in the least, today fewer have the moral constitution to find fault with taking someone else's property. Some feel they deserve it or you can replace it so it is your fault for leaving it unattended, others I just don't understand. Different times today. Never fish with more equipment than you or your fishing party can control.

On the bright side I once left my vest on the bank of the river where I was loading my canoe on the truck and drove off leaving it there, found my error the following day when I went to put it on to fish a river. My older mind realized what I had probably done and returned to the spot to find nothing, upset about my loss and trying to remember all the years of accumulation I had in that vest and planning to replace it was mind numbing. I purchased a new vest and a few things I needed and figured it would take a few years to fill the vest. I was overwhelmed a week later to receive a box in the mail from a fellow fisherman that found it on the bank. This good fellow found one of my old licenses with my address and mailed it to my home. I contacted him and offered a reward for being honest but he said it was the right thing to do and refused my offer,  including the cost of postage. I did send him a nice gift card and a thank you note for being the person he was.

Hopefully something like this happens with his stuff but there is a possibility it will not 

Happened to my bike. That really was saddening, but  the best part was it was and old piece of crap, and I could replace it with a new and better bike. But all that gear stolen, I bet your freind is not in a very good state.

6 hours ago, cphubert said:

Very unusual. Most people- Finders keepers; Losers weepers. The things will be at a pawn shop or flea market. Police will periodically check into pawn shops for stolen items.

4 hours ago, TIER said:

Happened to my bike. That really was saddening, but  the best part was it was and old piece of crap, and I could replace it with a new and better bike. But all that gear stolen, I bet your freind is not in a very good state.

He isnt doing well, fishing was his de stress and it's gone. I'm gonna send him some stuff if I can get his address from him.