Fly Tying
Landon P

I'm very sad :(

59 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

From now on just keep your stuff with you (both of you). I never heard of anybody just leaving their stuff under a bench.

Very wise words there, Mr Knapp.  To do otherwise often makes it look more like "abandon property" than any kind of real theft.  I see a lot of this around with fishing tackle, always wonder if someone will come back to get it or someone else will make the claim for themselves.  

Of course if there is excess litter left along with it, I can see one's argument to claim abandoned property AND clean-up the litter properly.  Sometimes that happens, too, and I've had some explain/justify it to me in such a way.  They gotta point.

One more thing Landon, you don't have to worry about whoever it was that took your friends stuff. You never know, it still could end up in the lost and found in the paper or on social media somewhere.

If it was stolen, those kinds of people make their own misery. He will never be able to use that stuff where he found it for fear of being seen. That kind of person will always have to look over his shoulder. He will never be able to enjoy that stuff as much as we do because he didn't work for it like we do. If it was stolen and hocked to support some kind of problem, well then, he has his own problems. Karma is a real thing because people make their own karma, he will always be miserable because of his own actions.

We can be happy we are not like that.

On 6/27/2020 at 5:54 PM, mikechell said:

Wife and I are constantly saying this to each other.  One of us will say, "We hate people."  The other replies, "Yes, we do."

Dozens of times a day, something happens that brings up that exchange.  Your friend has suffered one of many.  On the other hand, and I only question this because it does play into the situation.  How far away was your friend from his equipment?  Did he try to hide it, unsuccessfully, while he was off fishing?  People can't be trusted, simple as that.

My sympathies with your friend's plight.

I am sorry you hate people Mike. I love people, I find joy in knowing lots of very nice people. The ones that are not nice, I just don't bother myself with, I don't write everybody off because they are people, and I don't waste any time or misery dwelling on them that are not nice. You do know that all the fine people on this forum are people. I'm glad I don't feel the same way you do, it's depressing.

Thoughtful and well spoken Mr. Mark Knapp.  Pearls of wisdom, as me Mammy would say.  

15 hours ago, Landon P said:

From now on just keep your stuff with you (both of you). I never heard of anybody just leaving their stuff under a bench.

Count me sort of guilty. I was dropped off recently at a small lake, and threw my jacket over my stuff I couldn't carry around with me.  I tried to keep my eye on it, sort of, but if someone wanted to "rip me off", I'm sure it wouldn't have been too difficult (but it was not stuff I could not afford to replace).   I like to be a "trusting person", but this thread may be making be a bit cynical.  It's not the only example I can think of where my thoughts might  be outdated.

As was mentioned, someone who wants to enjoy fishing ought to be able to do for less than $100. As a 14 year old, under the circumstances, maybe it would be okay to ask for an early birthday or Christmas present from the unmentioned parent(s).  When I was 14, I had a paper route, and $100 was about a months "wages", but for various reasons that kind of "opportunity" doesn't seem to exist anymore, at least in that form. Some kids seem to be getting $20 or more to mow lawns in my neck of the woods.  That would just about pay for one of those golden fly rods, Eagle Claw, I think--which I think would be quite usable, by anyone, for typical sorts of fishing.

Good luck (to all!),

Bill (Bill_729)

This has been interesting with all the comments. Regarding people, my father said that there are people who would steal Christ off the cross and go back after dark for the nails. He was a USAF veteran and had some real bad experiences with guard duty in the South Pacific regarding low-life people- foreign, American and Allies.

17 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

One more thing Landon, you don't have to worry about whoever it was that took your friends stuff. You never know, it still could end up in the lost and found in the paper or on social media somewhere.

Karma is a real thing because people make their own karma, he will always be miserable because of his own actions.

We can be happy we are not like that.

Very true statement Mark, nothing good ever comes from ill gotten gains. 

Landon while your friend may never know who did this rest assured that if this thief decides to go fishing they are not have an enjoyable time.  If they sell the gear, whatever money they receive will only bring more misery to an already miserable life.  One thing I've learned in my 55 years on the planet is that if your actions cause someone else pain it's going to come back to haunt you one way or the other.  Call it Karma, call it bad mojo- as a Christian I believe we are all held accountable for our actions.  

It's important that your friend not let the actions of a thief make him bitter.  Forgiving someone who doesn't deserve it is good for the soul and a good soul is what makes a person a worth your friendship.

36 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Very true statement Mark, nothing good ever comes from ill gotten gains. 

Landon while your friend may never know who did this rest assured that if this thief decides to go fishing they are not have an enjoyable time.  If they sell the gear, whatever money they receive will only bring more misery to an already miserable life.  One thing I've learned in my 55 years on the planet is that if your actions cause someone else pain it's going to come back to haunt you one way or the other.  Call it Karma, call it bad mojo- as a Christian I believe we are all held accountable for our actions.  

It's important that your friend not let the actions of a thief make him bitter.  Forgiving someone who doesn't deserve it is good for the soul and a good soul is what makes a person a worth your friendship.

Amen Brother.

I like Mark’s advice. I try to tell my kids that most people are good...it’s just that there are so many of us out there that it’s inevitable that we’ll run into some bad ones every now and then. 

Quite a while ago I left an entire pay-check’s worth of cash in a drawer at work. When I finished my shift it was gone. I knew it had to have been only one of two other people that took it but no way to prove it. Lesson learned: Don’t leave anything lying around that you don’t want taken. Another time I dropped my wallet at a gas station, in arguably the worst part of town, with nearly $1000 in it (I had just cashed a check). After about 12 hours I finally figured that’s where it had to be and called them. The clerk had it, I went to get it, and every penny was there. 

Most people are good but there are just enough sh**-birds out there that you have to keep your stuff wired tight.

I worked part-time at Sears many years ago. Hardware would miss money from the cash drawer. It was noted that it happened when certain people were on the clock. A $20 was marked and watched. The dummy took the bill and tried to buy his dinner with it at the snack bar. Poof! Unemployed!