Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Kennebec River, Forks/Moosehead Lake area

Found out last night that one of my siblings is putting together a last minute rafting trip on the Kennebec for a long week-end at the end of July.  I won't be rafting, I'll be fly fishing that day.   Right now I'm thinking maybe the East or West branch outlets, but have not looked into it too much yet.      

Any suggestions, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.  

The forks is a great area have not fished it this year (yet) some large trout and landlocks. Summer is a slower time most consider the fall to be the best. sculpin patterns, bwo's, adams, light cahills, terrestrials, green and cinnamon caddis  larva and dry stages. DO NOT FORGET YOU BUG DOPE I only use 100% deet, a head net & long sleeve light shirt if the blackflies are still present, if they are not, then the Maine state bird (mosquito) will be. I would have a few white marabou streamers, buggers, bunny leaches and a decent selection of bead head nymphs, basic general flies and a few salmon patterns (undertaker and a few bugs smaller sized 8-10's).  I like studded felt. If you can consider a float trip or guide for a day, worth the expense.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

The only tip I can offer is, have a good time.

Thanks Mark.  In an Irish family with 8 siblings plus spouses, we've got that one covered, LOL.  

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

The forks is a great area 

Thanks cphubert.  I have rafted the Kennebec a number of times, but never fished it, which is why I have opted out of rafting it again, so the bugs and pure Deet I am familiar with.  Will be looking into a float trip.   Thanks for the advice on fly selection, I have heard spotted sedge patterns are a good choice also. 

I never floated a "trout" river.  But I've floated many a river in my 60 years.  When in doubt, a slow sinking, or top water minnow imitator will produce more strikes in a river than any other fly I've ever used.  Most fish in moving water are looking for food items drifting with the current.  When you're moving with the current, and you've got one, maybe two casts at any particular target, you want to try for the largest fish in there.  A top water or slow sinking offering, drifting/swimming past any cover or structure will pull opportunistic feeders out in a hurry.  Very exciting way to fish river currents.

I don't like fast sinking flies/lures, since a hang up will either be immediately snapped off, or you have to halt your boat/raft and move back upstream to retrieve it.  Pain in the butt more often than not.  Top water or suspending flies/lures will skirt most hang ups and give you more time fishing, less time retrieving or retying.

Good luck !!

Thanks Mike, appreciate your advice. 

Looking into it a little further, the stretch just below Moosehead Lake looks pretty accessible, with a number of  pools and runs that are reachable with a bit of hiking, which is my preferred way of fly-fishing.  If that holds true, a float trip won't be on the agenda.