Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Popper and Woven

Interesting RickZ.   Thought about wire but hadn’t tried it.   You got three hands to get legs in the weave?   Insert later with needle? Hadn’t tried that.  My cataracts must be getting worse.  Thanks for the follow up.   The ones I learned from, no longer in Orvis,  had black mono, plastic(?), for the back and brown floss.  The mono and flex I tried was too stiff.  Found this black cord worked but mine are kinda big on streamer hooks.  Wanta get the knots along the sides for the segmentation and still have curved back.  Not getting much of that.  Oh I hate biots!

Nice froggies too.

9D6E8DA4-BD72-4492-BFB7-222AD6374FEF.png

2BA090BE-C321-49EA-AB11-DE0DC83D63AB.png

159C72EE-B589-4742-A8E4-02F1C149387F.png

I make a few knots and then tied the legs in on the hook with figure 8 weave of thread.

Slight pain but it works.

Rick 

Tried wire but this is 26 gauge craft stuff.   Anyway made a wicked looking sow bug!  Great for Arkie tailwaters.    Wire is easier it don’t unravel if you let go.  Need to try the lil stuff.  Tried wire and floss and wire and d-rib... the chironomid needs help....

2633718B-7306-4BBE-8D0A-AAD7A0CDAFEE.png

788D7E95-781A-4824-AC38-694DE896C2F3.png

2AD509B4-39F0-497F-BFBF-FB93DD1CA727.png

2DEB7B9B-D7B5-4ECF-9BD1-C72334B1A780.png

How I did mine.  Scud hook size 10. Two colors of wire.  Holographic tinsel. Bead head

Tie on the top color of wire going down the hook on the far side.. Tie the near color on the near side of the hook going up the hook.

Tie in the holographic tinsel and wrap down the hook to where you want the body to start. 

Wrap the tinsel up the hook and tie off. 

Hold the Top color of wire in your right hand and the bottom in your left. Pull the top color over the hook. Pull the bottom color over the top color and then under the hook.

Then move the top color back over the hook, take the bottom color over the top color and under the hook again.  repeat.  Tie off at the near the bead. Put on biot wings and some bright green dubbing for a head.

Practice with chenille( two distinct colors) on a large hook to get the weave.