Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Fly fishing in Sitka Alaska, more or less

Just got back from another trip to Sitka. The weather was mostly too rough for fly fishing but we made it all work.

IMG_4081-XL.jpg

We caught a lot of Black Rockfish on a fly.

IMG_4093-XL.jpg

But, the weather was too rough to get a fly to the bottom so all of our bottom fish were caught on conventional gear. A 30 pound ling cod.

IMG_4135-XL.jpg

Another one.

fish2-XL.jpg

And a 65 pound halibut.

20200629_160127-XL.jpg

All in all we brought home about 280 pounds of rockfish, halibut, ling cod and king salmon fillets all vacuum packed and frozen. Didn't get to fly fish as much as we wanted but any fishing is good fishing.

nice, mark! I am going fishing for halibut tomorrow!

14 minutes ago, TIER said:

Good luck buddy, catch a huge one.

1 minute ago, Mark Knapp said:

Good luck buddy, catch a huge one.

will do!

Your right any fishing is good fishing plus it makes no sense to fanatically cling to a type of fishing you know won't catch what your looking to catch.  Nice halibut! Great outing. 

15 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Your right any fishing is good fishing plus it makes no sense to fanatically cling to a type of fishing you know won't catch what your looking to catch.  Nice halibut! Great outing. 

Phft, purists! It's a lot more fun to catch fish on a fly but it's more fun to catch fish than not catch fish on a fly.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Phft, purists! It's a lot more fun to catch fish on a fly but it's more fun to catch fish than not catch fish on a fly.

I have equal fun any way. I use what I feel is the best tool to accomplish what I set out to do..... catch fish. Might be fly, might be spin and it might even be bobbers, cut bait or night crawlers. Not an ounce of purist in me. It's just all fishing. 

57 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I have equal fun any way. I use what I feel is the best tool to accomplish what I set out to do..... catch fish. Might be fly, might be spin and it might even be bobbers, cut bait or night crawlers. Not an ounce of purist in me. It's just all fishing. 

An easy man to please, way to be.

Great fishing trip ... and report, Mark.  Thanks for the pictures. 

Jackets and boots ... still too cold for me to even think about visiting.  😱

Thanks a lot everybody. It was a lot of fun, got one more planned for later this summer. Yes we have lots of fish fries but I have to take it easy on the batter, they say it's not good for me. We also share an awful lot of fish. As I mentioned in earlier we fish proxies that allow us to catch limits of fish for older folks that aren't able to get out and fish. They appreciate it a lot.

7 hours ago, mikechell said:

Great fishing trip ... and report, Mark.  Thanks for the pictures. 

Jackets and boots ... still too cold for me to even think about visiting.  😱

Yes, it's been a chilly summer so far. We usually get a few days in the 70s and 80s but they've been few and far between this summer.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:45 PM, TIER said:

Going just for the halibut?🤪