Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Vise

detached body mayfly.  Fun fly to tie.  I like it a lot.  I think I need the hook slightly larger though as when it lands, it wants to do a head stand.  So, I figure a hook with a little more weight will drop it deeper in the water and cause it to flatten out, anyone have ideas on that?  

mayfly-detached.jpg

2 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

anyone have ideas on that?  

I don't tie or fish that style of wings, but maybe setting the wings a bit further back on the body would help.  

It sure is purty. Did you test it while casting or just drop it in water? I have noticed that the way I cast has a lot to do with how the fly lands on the water. Also, with a tippet on it and a knot like a clinch knot,(as apposed to a loop knot) I would think it would land correctly most of the time.

30 minutes ago, niveker said:

I don't tie or fish that style of wings, but maybe setting the wings a bit further back on the body would help.  

Cool thanks, I’ll try it

24 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

It sure is purty. Did you test it while casting or just drop it in water? I have noticed that the way I cast has a lot to do with how the fly lands on the water. Also, with a tippet on it and a knot like a clinch knot,(as apposed to a loop knot) I would think it would land correctly most of the time.

Thank you!  And yes I just dropped it in water...  haha!  I haven’t had a chance to test it yet on a rod no.  Honestly I moved to Texas where we don’t do much in this type of fishing, wish I was in Colorado still to test it more on fish!  

29 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Thank you!  And yes I just dropped it in water...  haha!  I haven’t had a chance to test it yet on a rod no.  Honestly I moved to Texas where we don’t do much in this type of fishing, wish I was in Colorado still to test it more on fish!  

I wouldn't change a thing then. If you wanted to just send me a dozen of them for testing, I would do that for you and not even charge you.😁😀🤭

I've tried this style of wing before on a very similar fly. I found that the wings acted like a helicopter and twisted my tippet really badly. Maybe you'll have better luck. It might be my mediocre tying skills  that caused the problem.

49 minutes ago, Lesg said:

I've tried this style of wing before on a very similar fly. I found that the wings acted like a helicopter and twisted my tippet really badly. Maybe you'll have better luck. It might be my mediocre tying skills  that caused the problem.

I’m sure mine would do the same also.  I suspect like a bass popper, you would want to up your tippet size, To be more stiff and such.  I think that will fix the issue.  But yeah not sure how it will fish...

mark, haha!  Yeah I actually have a guy that asked me to tie this for him.  I told him I’m not sure how it will fish but he didn’t care.  I do sell flies so, I guess he is paying me to test.  Haha!   But thanks. ;)     Oh and I tested in water and that’s why i noticed it landed like a face-plant.  Haha!  Well about half the time.  It landed good other times also.  

McFly, you are probably right on the tippet size. That never entered my mind so I took a different tack and went with yarn and hair wings. I now just use yarn because it is so easy to use and when it comes to tying flies I like to keep things as simple as possible. Too bad I didn't think about the tippet because that would have been an even simpler solution.

Deer hair mouse thing No. 2. Learned a lot on the first one. Working on "hair control" and spots (eyes) on this one.

DSCF5510-X3.jpg

DSCF5512-X4.jpg

This is a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Landon P said:

Wrights Royal 

PSFix_20200721_173604.jpeg

I like that one. Nice!

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Deer hair mouse thing No. 2. Learned a lot on the first one. Working on "hair control" and spots (eyes) on this one.

DSCF5510-X3.jpg

DSCF5512-X4.jpg

This is a lot of fun.

Man, those eyes look like they were painted on. Nice job!

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Nicely done!