Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Vise

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Okay ... I like this pattern ... really looks cool.  But I can see at least two wraps of the hackle ... then the legs tie in point, then the rest of the hackle.

Did you wrap the hackle by moving the legs out of the way for those first two or three wraps?  Or did you somehow tie the legs in as you wrapped the hackle?  After you wrapped the hackle?  SBS, please?

Just for fun, I'm going to guess he tied the first section of dubbing, the hopper legs, then the rest of the dubbing and then all of the hackle moving the legs out of the way.

41 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Just for fun, I'm going to guess he tied the first section of dubbing, the hopper legs, then the rest of the dubbing and then all of the hackle moving the legs out of the way.

Exactly Mark.  Mike, that is how I do it, using the dubbing to help splay and set the legs.

8 hours ago, Jaydub said:

This I will have to copy.

Welcome back Old Hat. Your location says Florida. Did you move?

Yes, I relocated to Florida about 3.5 years ago.  Sure miss the cold water fisheries in the PNW but have been exploring N. Georgia for trout and hope to start getting know N. Carolina soon.  

6 hours ago, vicente said:

Man that is killer not sure I've got the skills to tie that, it certainly wouldn't look as good that's for sure.

It's fairly simple actually.  I used to teach it to my 4-H Club.  The base of the pattern is a bundle of deer or elk hair tied along the top of the hook shank.  Then just dubbing, legs and a palmer hackle.  Just a dab of glue on the pheasant tail knots. 

10 hours ago, Kimo said:

Micro Game Changer - Black

116156889_3475571565787460_6564453362356

Kimo

Those game Changers are beautiful, and they look great in the water, but they seem like  they would be a lot of work. I'd sure be afraid to lose one. I've seen them in the water and they move so well.

1 hour ago, feathers5 said:

Those game Changers are beautiful, and they look great in the water, but they seem like  they would be a lot of work. I'd sure be afraid to lose one. I've seen them in the water and they move so well.

They are a lot of work. You figure each spine or section is one fly.
2 to 5 minutes for each section adds up quickly depending what you are tying on.
Featherchangers  are easier to tie than synthetics. Problem is they work.

Kimo

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

9 minutes ago, Kimo said:

They are a lot of work. You figure each spine or section is one fly.
2 to 5 minutes for each section adds up quickly depending what you are tying on.
Featherchangers  are easier to tie than synthetics. Problem is they work.

Kimo

I tie a feather micro game changer, it's not as pretty as Kimos but certainly fish able, they aren't too bad as far as time or skill lots of small parts but it's all simple.

1 hour ago, vicente said:

I tie a feather micro game changer, it's not as pretty as Kimos but certainly fish able, they aren't too bad as far as time or skill lots of small parts but it's all simple.

vicente,
I think you would agree that it is just another tool in the tool box.
It's also such a "new" platform that there is a lot of room for creativity.
I think I have finally nailed down a good all around platform for smallies.
This includes the right hook, thread, weight and material.
Tying on the shanks is like tying on size #20 hooks, I still crowd the head.

As for pretty, I've been using Photoshop since '92. I got to Beta test the first versions
with the phone book company.

Kimo

2 hours ago, Kimo said:

vicente,
I think you would agree that it is just another tool in the tool box.
It's also such a "new" platform that there is a lot of room for creativity.
I think I have finally nailed down a good all around platform for smallies.
This includes the right hook, thread, weight and material.
Tying on the shanks is like tying on size #20 hooks, I still crowd the head.

As for pretty, I've been using Photoshop since '92. I got to Beta test the first versions
with the phone book company.

Kimo

Yep I totally agree I've yet to fish mine, hopefully I'll get a chance to get it to the river to chase trout and smallies this year.

2 hours ago, Landon P said:

Landon, this is a 100 percent improvement over the first salmon fly I saw you post. Good job.

28 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Landon, this is a 100 percent improvement over the first salmon fly I saw you post. Good job.

Thank you Mark! I couldn't have done it without the materials you sent. 95% of the fly is with what you sent me.