Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Vise

11 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you Mark! I couldn't have done it without the materials you sent. 95% of the fly is with what you sent me. 

I am glad I helped and I'm glad to see the materials being put to good use.

19 hours ago, Old Hat said:

Exactly Mark.  Mike, that is how I do it, using the dubbing to help splay and set the legs.

Very nice tie, I'm going to do some too.

4 hours ago, Kimo said:

vicente,
I think you would agree that it is just another tool in the tool box.
It's also such a "new" platform that there is a lot of room for creativity.
I think I have finally nailed down a good all around platform for smallies.
This includes the right hook, thread, weight and material.
Tying on the shanks is like tying on size #20 hooks, I still crowd the head.

As for pretty, I've been using Photoshop since '92. I got to Beta test the first versions
with the phone book company.

Kimo

Hi Kimo, do you care to share the smallmouth pattern? We've been in a drought condition here in my area of PA, and I can't fish for trout.  I've been fishing the Juniata River for smallmouths and really love catching them on flies.

wtg Landon,

Everything I have been tying for the past week looks like do-do compared to that last one you posted,

I wont even take photos of mine, I am too embarrassed, its taking me longer then expected to get back into this.

GGGrrr.

24 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

wtg Landon,

Everything I have been tying for the past week looks like do-do compared to that last one you post

I wont even take photos of mine, I am too embarrassed, its taking me longer then expected to get back into this.

GGGrrr.

46 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Thanks xterrabill, if you go into the steelhead salmon fly topic you can see what advice I got and that might help you.

Still working on deer hair poppers. I decided the eyes needed three color and they needed to be rounder. Also I wanted to make thinner stripes and work on better hair control in general. So here's the latest.

DSCF5540-X4.jpg

DSCF5536-X4.jpg

DSCF5534-X4.jpg

DSCF5544-X3.jpg

With a box full, now it time to go fish them, if it will ever quit raining so the water can go down a little and clear up a little.

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

Hi Kimo, do you care to share the smallmouth pattern? We've been in a drought condition here in my area of PA, and I can't fish for trout.  I've been fishing the Juniata River for smallmouths and really love catching them on flies.

This has been the trick. There are a lot of crawdads in the reservoir and these are just the right size.
You don't have to use the Kona, you can use a Gamakatsu SC15 #4, the Kona just keels better.
Yeah, we leave the barb or we would never get to touch them. They get so pissed. Nothing like a 5# smallie at the end of your line.

Hook: Kona BGH #6 - #4
Thread: UNI 8/0 Olive
Tail: Baitfish Emulator underneath, India Hen Back - Black
Abdomen: Flymen Micro Game Changer Spines, 2 - 6MM and 1 - 8MM
    On the 6MM Spines I wrap 3 India Hen Back Feathers and finish with Pheasant Tail Rump - Orange on both sides.
     The 8MM Spines I wrap two sets of three India Hen Back Feathers in Olive and finish once again with Pheasant Tail Rump - Orange on both sides.
Eyes: Bead Chain Eyes - Large from Home Depot

116019156_3460878527256764_4240585860464

Mark, I am a bit envious.  I've tried deer hair of and on over the years.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the stacked hair to stay in place.  It always spins out of position.

You've definitely got the process down pat.

Oh ... I'm not currently not even trying, so no need for suggestions on how to fix it.

56 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Mark, I am a bit envious.  I've tried deer hair of and on over the years.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the stacked hair to stay in place.  It always spins out of position.

You've definitely got the process down pat.

Oh ... I'm not currently not even trying, so no need for suggestions on how to fix it.

54 minutes ago, bdngrd said:

I agree, those are nice deer hair poppers, Mark.

Thanks guys. To be honest, Mike In the past all I had done was spin hair so I was expecting it to be hard to keep it from spinning but really all you do is hold the stuff where you want it to be while you tighten up on the hair. It's surprisingly easy.

39 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Crappy Royal Wullf

PSFix_20200726_201130-01.jpeg

Landon, A wise guy a long time ago gave me some advise, he said " Don't spend a lot of time cutting yourself down, there's plenty of people around to do that for you". I think the fly looks fine, certainly better than average, good enough to fish and good enough to sell if you make a dozen of them just like that.

If you think something's wrong with it, tell us what you want to work on and maybe we can help. If you don't need help, tie a good one and post it. Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd just post what you thought was a "crappy" fly. Maybe it's just me.

To me it just doesn't look right. I think it could be the wings, they might be a tad to long. I wouldn't sell these quite yet because I used sewing thread for the abdomen and idk how durable and effective that is.