Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Vise

I am enjoying seeing everyone's work. 

Here is a Burnt Wood Wulff. A variation on the Royal, it is commonly used on the Bois Brule River and is a great brook trout pattern.  

fullsizeoutput_4e6.jpeg

41 minutes ago, bdngrd said:

Here is a Burnt Wood Wulff. A variation on the Royal, it is commonly used on the Bois Brule River and is a great brook trout pattern.  

That is a nice looking fly!

Cheech’s Mini Stoneflopper

50111104268_46d7c54851_c.jpg

50111675341_ca657cf49b_c.jpg

50111910842_ba8a742eef_c.jpg

50111911107_1fa266df75_c.jpg

50111911047_bdf1aeaa21_c.jpg

50111675086_1960a288e7_c.jpg

Another easy-to-tie floater from the folks at Flyfishfood; hopper/stonefly/general attractor. Just a couple minor changes, due to availability of materials, but the results are similar (and yes, I forgot to pinch the barb).  Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear tan
 legs - medium rubber cornsnake
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
underwing/head - 2mm foam tan
indicator - 2mm foam orange

Regards,
Scott

Playing with split case materials. I like this combo. Yellow uni stretch over yellow Veevus holotinsel, topped with Loon thin.

XePRwSHl.jpg

4 hours ago, bdngrd said:

fullsizeoutput_4e6.jpeg

nice fly

Cheech’s Stoneflopper

50114119331_fce2685e00_c.jpg

50114351442_e1ea07347a_c.jpg

50113551623_737042be8f_c.jpg

50114351302_8b3e0d5ce8_c.jpg

50114351122_7f33ffc4db_c.jpg

50114119171_09c444c15a_c.jpg

Definitely tied this one more as a hopper than a stonefly.  Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - UTC 140 tan
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear tan
tail/legs - medium rubber golden stone
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
underwing/head - 2mm foam tan
indicator - 2mm foam orange

Regards,
Scott

I've been teaching myself to tie/construct Crease Flies for the past several weeks. I'm going to be using these primarily for Bass, so made them,colored for use in a Bass pond or river.

I watched a bunch of Youtube videos and kind of crunched a lot of different techniques into the ones I make. I freehanded a couple of templates for the foam and wasn't really happy with the shape of the bodies I was getting. I was trying to think of something that would make a good template,but was coming up empty,until..... I went down to the basement and noticed the flight fins on a dart,that was sticking in my dartboard. Hummm? I grabbed one of the flights and took it upstairs,traced it onto a sheet of foam, and..Perfect shape!

Once I had the tail tied and the fly assembled, I, trimmed them to the shape I wanted and used Sharpies and Copic markers to color them. I also added a little bit of Glitter nail polish to give it some bling, then sealed it with either, Clear Nail Polish (can yellow if applied too thick), 5 minute Epoxy or Clear Plastidip. I'm leaning more towards the plastidip because it gives a bit of a texture. 

I was a bit frustrated with the hook gap, even after trimming, so I tied a few on wide gap worm hooks and was pretty pleased. I also trimmed several different body shapes, just for fun.

IMG-3863 1.jpg

IMG-3855 1.jpg

IMG-3856 1.jpg

IMG-3857 1.jpg

IMG-3859 1.jpg

IMG-3860 1.jpg