Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Vise

Flytier, I think we (hopefully) all agree that just changing the tail color is not a new pattern, however there are plenty of people who will jump down someone’s throat for tying something that “resembles” something else.  Man, if you talk to my wife, every single dry fly looks alike.  lol!  I show her a renegade, Oh is that an Adams?  Just saying.  No changing just one thing should make it a new fly.  However when using completely different materials to give a completely different action, or resemble a different bug, or whatever it may be, should be considered a new fly.  

The first time someone used a wormie, it was a new fly. The first time a mop was used it was a new fly.

People are trying new materials all the time. Game changers, articulated flies, the list goes on. When a new material is introduced, every new pattern tied with it is a new pattern.

It's pretty simple really. Every fly pattern known to man today was once a new pattern. I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe that there are patterns that have not yet been developed.

When UV resin was developed it immediately enabled people to do things we were never able to do before. Is a UV resin scud a new pattern or just a variation of an epoxy scud? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it would be extremely difficult to do the same things with regular epoxy that we do with UV. I would argue that, since its a different technique, and we can get a different effect, with a lot less hassle, give it the high honor of calling it a new fly. Nobodies going to get rich over it.

I feel like I have developed a couple of new patterns but if I say anything about it, there will be about a half a dozen guys on here all searching the net to prove, as fast as they can, that someone else somewhere tied something like it.

I didn't name them after myself, I didn't do it to gain fame or fortune. I did it because I couldn't find anything like the fly I wanted to fish, or other flies had particular problems I wanted to fix (like eyes falling off). I perfected them over a few years to get the action just how I wanted it and then I named them. Who did I hurt?

First go at biot bodies. Just kinda did a Copper John style fly just with a biot body and without a bead. 

20200709_191026-01.jpeg

13 hours ago, flytire said:

Moose Wing Paddy Francis

Having gone to Irish Catholic schools my whole life, sounds like a nickname we students would have given one of the Brothers or Nuns.  Nice tie.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I feel like I have developed a couple of new patterns but if I say anything about it, there will be about a half a dozen guys on here all searching the net to prove, as fast as they can, that someone else somewhere tied something like it.

I feel ya.  In fact I am so afraid of someone flipping out on me they when I post one of my videos that I can’t find any original tier close to it.  Just a pattern I came up with on the vice, I feel I need to scour the internet for days to look for someone somewhere to tie something remotely close.  If I can’t find it, I still put at the end of my video a quick thing stating, “I am sorry if this is a fly you or your friend has tied before.  I couldn’t find anyone anywhere that has tied it but let me know if so and I’ll try and give them credit in the description section...”.  Hahahaha

if I don’t I literally get people jumping down my throat about their cousins uncles best friends guide who fished a fly like that a long time ago. I’ve had people threaten to sue me before over taking their pattern...  like bro, I seriously had no clue.  Lol!    

5 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Yeah I agree.  I tied up some flies that looked similar to another guys flies.  I sold them.  I didn’t “copy” his.  He lost it on me and said he worked so hard to get that fly on the market, for me to just steal it and sell it myself.  Lol!   I was like but........ it’s not the same, different materials all together and arranged differently....    He said well a variation is still that fly.  🙄.   Crazy crazy people out there...  

I have copied and sold other tiers patterns, just never took credit for developing it. usually kept the originator's pattern name (pattern by "  ") and called it a  variant. correct some tiers and innovator's put a lot of time in to developing balance and action but once the cat is out of the bag all they can do is watch everyone tie their hot new fly until the next one comes along. If they do not want it copied they can keep it a secret personal pattern or guide pattern and not publish it. having your pattern copied should serve some degree of flattery or satisfaction.

Cheech’s Moodah Poodah

50096236627_c2678fce4c_c.jpg

50096236722_f3274ca2a4_c.jpg

50096236582_047cacfce7_c.jpg

50095427128_8dc65688b9_c.jpg

50095427083_6229d1abdf_c.jpg

Made a couple minor changes.  Here’s his video if you’re interested.

hook - WFC Model 28 #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
tag - UTC 140 fluoro orange/UV resin
rib - micro tubing black
abdomen - Ice Dub hare’s ear tan
wing - deer hair bleached
head/overwing - 2mm foam tan
indicator - Parapost yarn hot orange
legs - medium rubber cornsnake

Regards,
Scott

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

I have copied and sold other tiers patterns, just never took credit for developing it. usually kept the originator's pattern name (pattern by "  ") and called it a  variant. correct some tiers and innovator's put a lot of time in to developing balance and action but once the cat is out of the bag all they can do is watch everyone tie their hot new fly until the next one comes along. If they do not want it copied they can keep it a secret personal pattern or guide pattern and not publish it. having your pattern copied should serve some degree of flattery or satisfaction.

I never took credit.   I actually named it the same and said it was inspired by.  Then they told me I couldn’t sell their pattern.  And I said but technically it’s not really the same. And they said I couldn’t sell anything resembling that.  Lol!!!   Ohhh ok dude.  👍. Haha!    

I do custom tying.  So I don’t like advertise specific patterns, but People tell me what they want.  When ever they request flies originated from this one guy I now say, sorry he refuses to let me tie those flies.  But literally any other fly on the planet except from this dude I can tie.  Haha!  

Micro Game Changers
Fire Tigers

Had a chance to pull out the airbrush using UV Nail Polish.
Beauty supply has some of the best colors and they all clean up and thin with Acetone.
Dark Grey for the top and stripes using a soft stencil.
Fluorescent Orange for the belly.

108730357_3430620340282583_6041915982624

Kimo

Hot-Spot-Pheasant-Tail-1080.jpg

Olive Pheasant Tail Nymph with Hot Spot

Hook - Wet/nymph style

Thread - Your favorite color

Tail - Olive pheasant tail

Ribbing - Copper wire

Body - Olive pheasant tail

Hot spot - Hot orange glo brite strands

Wing case - Olive pheasant tail