Fly Tying
TIER

trout catch and cook

Today i caught a trout and filleted him and cooked him. He was gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!

On 7/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, samsonboi said:

Bit small to keep, no? Not much food on that lil guy.

Just enough to enjoy the experience of catching and cooking your own meal. 

Nice job, TIER!

Your fillets can taste MUCH better.  The quicker you fry it, the better the outside layer "seals".  Basically, you want to cauterize the external surfaces.  This retains the natural moisture of the flesh and prevents the absorption of the oil or fat you're cooking in.  Don't put the fillets in until a water droplet sizzles immediately on dropping in.  The fillets should do the same, sizzle immediately upon touching the oil/butter.

I am not much of a fresh water fish eater but i do pan fry haddock and enjoy that very much.   Keep up the good work James.

gut it and just cut off the head (optional). Once it's cooked, use a fork/knife to open it on the lateral line. You can pull out the backbone and ribs all at once. Much less waste that way. Also on a nice size fish the cheeks are good eating. Way to go Tier, not much beats fresh pan fried trout.

LOVE to eat some trout-  and agree 100% with Sandan,  filleting trout makes it a pain to deal with the bones.    Even steelhead, lake trout, any salmonid.   On the very rare occasions I get to catch some steelhead,  I cut them into steaks and grill them.   Pan frying,  Mom taught us the best way, and you can remove the entire skeleton in one piece and have all the meat with no bones.    You need to catch more and give it a try. 

1 hour ago, JSzymczyk said:

Pan frying,  Mom taught us the best way, and you can remove the entire skeleton in one piece and have all the meat with no bones.    You need to catch more and give it a try. 

Yup. Removing the skeleton best done after cooking and while they are still warm. 

22 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

LOVE to eat some trout-  and agree 100% with Sandan,  filleting trout makes it a pain to deal with the bones.    Even steelhead, lake trout, any salmonid.   On the very rare occasions I get to catch some steelhead,  I cut them into steaks and grill them.   Pan frying,  Mom taught us the best way, and you can remove the entire skeleton in one piece and have all the meat with no bones.    You need to catch more and give it a try. 

20 hours ago, Jaydub said:

Yup. Removing the skeleton best done after cooking and while they are still warm. 

You guys are making me hungry!  : )   One time I was fishing off a friends dock, and I caught a bass. And my friend  took it from me and returned in 10 minutes with a fish sandwich for me.   That must have been over 10 years ago, and that was the last "fresh fish" I had.

Best fish I had was during a college outing in January. Water temp was about 40 degrees. We caught several crappie, filleted them. Coated with butter, salt, pepper and wrapped them in foil. Baked in hot coals and ate with out fingers.

Brined trout in the smoker along with some deviled eggs, cream cheese and swiss cheese, (eggs and cheese wont be in for very long, started out at 65 deg cold smoke).

was my last trip of the year to the trout farm (closes for the winter sunday), had a blast for 3.5 hours catching these trout on many different patterns.

plain cream cheese and deviled eggs are fantastic smoked!!

Thank you fly tying forum for all the patterns and sbs's.

(due to the current situation my trout season was canceled, but the trout farm was still open and this trip only cost me 42 bucks!)

trt eg chs 1.jpg

trt eg chs 2.jpg

44 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

Brined trout in the smoker along with some deviled eggs, cream cheese and swiss cheese, (eggs and cheese wont be in for very long, started out at 65 deg cold smoke).

was my last trip of the year to the trout farm (closes for the winter sunday), had a blast for 3.5 hours catching these trout on many different patterns.

plain cream cheese and deviled eggs are fantastic smoked!!

Thank you fly tying forum for all the patterns and sbs's.

(due to the current situation my trout season was canceled, but the trout farm was still open and this trip only cost me 42 bucks!)

Wait, where's the after pictures. Nice looking spread dude.

5 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Wait, where's the after pictures.

LOL, I am sure you meant the photos of the trout as I caught them. I actually forgot my camera!!! I left the house, packed up the gear and forgot my wallet, ran in and out, drove all the way there (about an hour) and then realized I forgot the darn camera. I am sure all you folks know how it is, all excited about fishing, cant sleep and the brain goes numb.

Time for some wine and cheese, happy Saturday to all!

Thanks Mark, now go clean your room young man.

;)

59 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

LOL, I am sure you meant the photos of the trout as I caught them. I actually forgot my camera!!! I left the house, packed up the gear and forgot my wallet, ran in and out, drove all the way there (about an hour) and then realized I forgot the darn camera. I am sure all you folks know how it is, all excited about fishing, cant sleep and the brain goes numb.

Time for some wine and cheese, happy Saturday to all!

Thanks Mark, now go clean your room young man.

;)

Actually I'd like to see the trout after they are smoked.

I was thinking about tackling the fly tying room a little later on today. It depends on how long it takes me to finish up with the meat cutting. I'm down to the last of the moose and caribou for this year.

Living up on Lake Superior for many years fish was a staple of our diet. Just about any fish was welcome on our table. Had smoker and lots of salmon and trout went there but also deep fried, pan fried, baked, microwaved, fondued, boiled, broiled, BBQ'ed, pickled, and probably a few I can't remember. Never ate it raw though. Sushi not for me.