Fly Tying
GaryS

US Made Tools and Waxed Thread

Good Afternoon Gents:

I'm hoping you guys can help me out once more.  I'm starting to amass all the material, tools, and equipment to start fly tying and am having a blast doing all the research!  I have recently ordered some tools from Renzetti but find their offering is just short of what I need.  Do you guys know of any fly tying tools (besides Renzetti) that are made here in the USA?  Also, can anyone give me a lead on a company that offers waxed thread in a kit form, instead of buying them all individually.  Thanks again.

7 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Not sure where they are made but I have some Dr. Slick tools.

Their scissors are made in Pakistan and assembled in the US.  (A sizeable percentage of the world's surgical tools are made in Pakistan; it's something they do very well.)

Interesting. Short story- cut my thumb and the doctor gave me the scissors when he removed the stitches. Made In Pakistan- very sharp and in my rod building stuff.

Buy plain thread and wax it yourself.  Advantage: you can control how much wax you want, how tacky, how slippery, special uses, etc.

I like UNI-Thread. It's often made in either Canada or Germany, but then I'm a Canadian citizen as well as an American one so I like Canadian-mf'd stuff too.

Don't forget, importing, transporting and retailing in America is equally as important as made in America, maybe more. 

I get the impression you already own a Renzetti vise.  If not, my advise to new tiers is a quality vise made by Renzetti or Peak, which are the best value in a quality vise.  They both hold a hook like grim death.  Dr. Slick is the best value for quality scissors.  The Rite bobbin is my favorite, which I recommend to new tiers.  The Italian-made Stonfo makes an excellent hackle plier.  But English hackle pliers, if tipped with rubber pads, work well.  I use bodkins made of shaped cork handles and various sizes of sewing needles.  Do you have particular tools in mind?