Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

This big enough?

Wish I got a couple more of these guys. 9 inches in total, put up a heck of a fight on my 3wt! 

20200704_130113.jpg

Big enough for what?  That's a nice chunk of Bluegill.

Big enough to eat?  Absolutely.  When I am keeping for food, anything over 5 inches is a keeper.

Big enough for fun?  Absolutely, as you stated, a great fight on a 5 weight or less.

Nice bluegill.  Since I'm also fishing for bass.  I go in overgunned with my 6 wgt.  Those big ones put up a fight with the 6 wgt.

On 7/5/2020 at 9:54 AM, Philly said:

Nice bluegill.  Since I'm also fishing for bass.  I go in overgunned with my 6 wgt.  Those big ones put up a fight with the 6 wgt.

I agree.  Most of the pan fish that I catch are by products of fishing for bass, and the larger bluegills and red breasts are still a good fight with a six weight.

I like fishing for pumpkin seed,  with my ultralight spinning rod.  I know a pond on the maine/nh border where they get huge.   They fight like a freight train,  thick and heavy.   Tons of fun on light fly tackle.   Nice fish!

On 7/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, Landon P said:

Bass is my next mission. I got most of the stuff just got to go find them! 

They often hang out in the same areas you'll find bluegills and other sunfish.  Weeds, lily pads, various structure.  This one interrupted a really good day of bluegill fishing.  Caught it in the area where I was catching the bluegills, on the same fly.   Actually, thought I had another big gill on, until I got a look at it.

P6240430.JPG

On 7/20/2020 at 5:33 AM, troutmaster08 said:

Bass on the fly is something else. I've caught some 14 to 16 inchers on the fly and they just fight like crazy.

My personal best is on a fly 22 inches or so and fat, I got to sight cast to it with a big black bunny streamer.