Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 8wt IM8

Your usual quality workmanship. Love the nickel insert. How do you inlet the fighting butt?

On 7/6/2020 at 11:34 AM, mikechell said:

Clean build ... but, too subtle for me.  

Is this code for "but but there's no blue".

Well ... there isn't ... but, no.  It's code for, even other colors can be brighter.  Maybe it goes back to being raised with 4 sisters, but I like "bling".  I like bright colors and shiny stuff.  So, if the rod it's bright enough to spook fish too close to cast for, it's not blingy enough.  I want to scare those fish farther away from me, where they can calm down and then be catchable.

Maybe it will be blinged out with some nice blue fly  line. If there is such a thing.

10 hours ago, mikechell said:

Well ... there isn't ... but, no.  It's code for, even other colors can be brighter.  Maybe it goes back to being raised with 4 sisters, but I like "bling".  I like bright colors and shiny stuff.  So, if the rod it's bright enough to spook fish too close to cast for, it's not blingy enough.  I want to scare those fish farther away from me, where they can calm down and then be catchable.

Now we understand Mike, four sisters will do that to you !!

That's M I 6 ... not IM6 ... Skeet.  🙄

I believe the im8 either means "interwoven modulus"  or "intermediate modulus".  Graphite content, or something like that.

23 minutes ago, mikechell said:

"intermediate modulus"

Yep. Basically what that means in simple terms is the amount of graphite strands in a given amount/sheet. Your higher IM blanks can use less amount and retain the same characteristic with less graphite so they tend to be a tad lighter. Not all are lighter, depends on the manufacture and how they finish the blank, but some are lighter.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

That's M I 6 ... not IM6 ... Skeet.  🙄

I believe the im8 either means "interwoven modulus"  or "intermediate modulus".  Graphite content, or something like that.

Hey, Mike. That's my mistake...and so early in the month.😁