Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

A day and a half on the Richardson Clearwater

20200706-165729-X2.jpg

The grayling were nice and we caught them up to 20 inches long. I fished with my 3wt. and my 2/0. It was a great time.

20200706-173143-X2.jpg

We were in between mayfly hatches but they were hitting black gnats, mosquitoes, nymphs and Adams.

Snapshot%203%20(7-7-2020%2012-46%20PM)-X

This is my buddy Rick, he don't fish real good but he does run the boat pretty good. (I put that in just cuz he's going to see this).

Snapshot%202%20(7-7-2020%2012-44%20PM)-X

He does manage to catch one every once in a while.

20200706-173541-X2.jpg

The weather was beautiful. We weren't alone on the river, it being the July 4th weekend but we were able to get off by ourselves.

20200706-173209-X2.jpg

Here's one that hit a nymph.

20200706-174030-X2.jpg

Here's my biggest one, a solid twenty incher, unfortunately he was anxious to get back in the water so I let him go without a good pose for a picture.

20200706-173601-X2.jpg

The weather was pretty, the fish were pretty and the landscape was pretty.

20200706-181350-X2.jpg

And the water is crystal clear. In this picture the water is about 12 feet deep, you can see the sandy bottom.

20200706-181724-X2.jpg

A 19 incher with my buddy in the stern poling us around the riffles.

Snapshot%205%20(7-7-2020%209-59%20AM)-X2

We caught about fifty fish all together and we let them all go on this trip although the limit is liberal. We both have freezers full at home.

I love hunting grayling especially with the dry fly and that looks like a fbouluous river system!  Looks like a great trip

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Almost reached 80 degrees, Mike.

That's almost hot weather.  

My boat would love that river.  Are you taking pictures with a go pro of some sort? I like the pictures without the poses and mud covered fish. 

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

My boat would love that river.  Are you taking pictures with a go pro of some sort? I like the pictures without the poses and mud covered fish. 

Most of these shots are "snapshots" from go pro videos ( I have six Go Pros, ranging from the original to the six, they are all a little different and each is just a little better at a particular application than some of the others. For instance, the fours, I have two of them, are the most durable and the most waterproofed, I use them for deep water video, down to about 150 feet) and some are from Canon camcorder videos. Yes, it's a perfect river for your boat.

We used a jet boat almost exactly like yours to get to the cabin and at the cabin we switched to the older 24 foot Duracraft for it's wide open fly casting platform. At rest, the Jon boat has a 3 inch draft, under power, I'm sure, we went over riffles that had only 3 inches of water, with me in the bow holding it down.

Yes, I appreciate fish (and game) photos with no mud and sticks and leaves stuck on the fish (and no blood).

We could be brothers.

How do you focus to get the underwater photos? Selfie stick? Need to break in a camera I bought.

4 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

How do you focus to get the underwater photos? Selfie stick? Need to break in a camera I bought.

The camera does the focusing itself, I think it uses magic 😁.

I have used selfy sticks but they don't hold up because they don't like to have water inside of them, they rust up in there and pretty soon they don't work. I made my own selfy stick with an old telescopic fishing pole. They don't rust, and it floats if I drop it because of the foam handle that came on the pole. It works well.

Thanks. Need to experiment. Don't think mine has Magic software. Need to go back and read the manual.

1 minute ago, fshng2 said:

Very nice Mark, if I ever was to fish there I wouldn’t want to leave.

It's always sad when you have to leave.