Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Tapering synthetic materials

I met Tim at the Marlborough MA Fly Fishing Show.  I was able to thank him in person for the hours of frustration his tying tips vids have saved me.  Thanks for posting!

Hi tapering synthetic materials cut to required length in small bunches tapering fibres with fingers as in the video tie each loop of fibres and varnish threads as you come towards

You start short then each bunch as you move forwards get a little longer at each tying in point then when you get the length you require you then start reverse tapering the fibres to give you a fish shape or the desired shape you require for the particular pattern you are tying hope this helps as this is the method I use to tie my pike flies as this method gives you a very durable fly

Kind regards Steve 😉

Nice video.  It's one reason I avoid materials that I'd have to cut and trim to shape.  I do mine in batches.  I use Supreme Hair and a similar synthetic hair, whose name slips my mind right now, along with Mirror Image and Senyo's Lazer Dubbing.  It's called Flash Blending.  I learned it in a class Steve Farrar gave at my salt water fly fishing club several years ago.  It's a way to blend flash into the material and create a tapered material.  Here's a link to how to flash blend http://aswf.info/images/flashblending.pdf

It takes 15-20 minutes to do it right, but when you're done you have a whole pack of material tapered and ready to go.

For Supreme Hair and similar materials, I use Flashabou.  It works well with the thicker fibers

For Mirror Image which is a finer artificial hair  I use Angel Hair

Senyo's Lazer Dubbing already has flash in it.  But you need to stretch the material, in order to use it for bait fish patterns,  so I use the flash blending process to get a material that is good for small bait fish patterns.  I also use it to blend colors to tone down the florescent colors it comes in.

I couldn't find a picture of a fly I tied with Supreme Hair.   The red and white fly is tied with Mirror Image, the bait fish is tied with Senyo's Lazer Dubbing.

002.JPG

P9270305.JPG

2 hours ago, DFoster said:

I met Tim at the Marlborough MA Fly Fishing Show.  I was able to thank him in person for the hours of frustration his tying tips vids have saved me.  Thanks for posting!

Doesn't look like his voice does he?
We love to yank his chain.

Kimo

21 hours ago, Kimo said:

Doesn't look like his voice does he?
We love to yank his chain.

Kimo

His voice doesn't match him at all.  It's like watching a dubbed movie -LOL.