Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Grubs

Those are pretty cool. Where do you get the satin cord from? Joanns? I make the same fly but use rubber bands for the body.

Interesting idea. I was just in Michaels the other day and they had some of that on sale. I didn't buy it because I couldn't think of a use for it. 

I've used  Rat Tail for trailing shucks and bodies on some of my midges .  If you pick at it, it will unravel and  gives a nice tying material.  It's a bit limp to use for bait fish patterns though..

I just got some 1.5 mm wide spinner bait skirt layers that arrived from Barlow's yesterday.  I tied a couple of grubs with it last night and looks more like a latex wrap than the thinner skirts.  I'll take some pictures when I finish them and post them.

without a doubt those will catch fish but il stick to mop bodies. havnt tried them on a scud hook but you gave me the idea. i also have some shiny bodies from a bath matt and being thinner it should fit the smaller  scud hook

Nice! Whenever I see flies like these, it reminds me of an old pattern called the Miracle Nymph. I first saw them in a magazine back in the 70's. Such a simple fly, and they caught plenty of fish for me, although it was mostly panfish that I used them for.

Nothing but a white floss body, with a peacock herl head. Simple flies work! 

5 hours ago, richmce said:

without a doubt those will catch fish but il stick to mop bodies. havnt tried them on a scud hook but you gave me the idea. i also have some shiny bodies from a bath matt and being thinner it should fit the smaller  scud hook

Mop flies definitely work as grubs.  Here's some I tied up last year.  I've lost a few.  Caught a bunch of fish.  Gave some away.  I found the small mop pieces in an auto store.  Hand mitts for washing cars.  Those mitts came in white, yellow, gray and blue.  First picture,  the smaller grubs.  Small ones are tied on size 10  Gamakatsu B10S stinger hooks. Second picture, the box I ended up with.

Third picture, are Grub size, tied on Size 6 and 8 Gamakatsu, B10S stinger hook.  The ones with foam heads float.  The main colors I found were White, Grey, Chartreuse, Grey, Tan, Blue, Yellow, Orange and Olive  These are mop pieces.  Some from dust mops, some from bath mops.  The dust mops can be dyed, but the colors usually come out in pastel shades.  I used permanent markers for the others.

P3130134_(4).JPG

P4140198.JPG

P4140195.JPG

I rarely even tie on the mop flies I've got anymore.  I caught a couple of fish when I first used them ... then nothing.  I haven't had one on for, at least, a year.

Actually, I don't use any type of grub, much.  Just don't have a lot of confidence in them.