Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Retail stores

18 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

We wouldn't know there was a virus either if not for all the masks. I just got my first haircut and beard trim in four months. I had to make an appointment, waited two weeks to get in, had to wait in my car in the parking lot until called to enter, my temperature was taken and then I was  permitted in ...

Not too long ago, I watched 2 YouTube videos and cut my own hair in front of the bathroom mirror. I had my wife cut along the neckline with scissors.  The results exceeded my expectations, and I'll most likely do it again.  And you can do it in less time than it takes to tie a fly, and without an appointment!  I feel confident in saying that your first haircut is likely to look better than your first fly did, especially your first deer hair bass bug!  : )  I hope this info is helpful; I would have been glad if someone had talked me into the idea earlier, before I got the idea from YouTube.

I've got my covid going right now a good friend and his girlfriend came over a few weeks ago and he cuts his own hair so I had him bring his clippers and cut mine and my sons, it's not perfect but it's much better than it was.

6 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

Not too long ago, I watched 2 YouTube videos and cut my own hair in front of the bathroom mirror. I had my wife cut along the neckline with scissors.  The results exceeded my expectations, and I'll most likely do it again.  And you can do it in less time than it takes to tie a fly, and without an appointment!  I feel confident in saying that your first haircut is likely to look better than your first fly did, especially your first deer hair bass bug!  : )  I hope this info is helpful; I would have been glad if someone had talked me into the idea earlier, before I got the idea from YouTube.

4 hours ago, vicente said:

I've got my covid going right now a good friend and his girlfriend came over a few weeks ago and he cuts his own hair so I had him bring his clippers and cut mine and my sons, it's not perfect but it's much better than it was.

I did give myself one haircut with my beard trimmers. The result did look like my first fly. I tried to buy trimmers but all the cheaper ones were out of stock with only the 300 dollar ones available. I wasn't about to spend that much on one. Plus, I really enjoy the whole barbershop experience, the straight razor, the horse brush, the powder, the witch hazel and the frivolous banter. that old time barbershop experience is another thing quickly disappearing.

I've only had two barbers my entire life. The second one, for the last 25 years, retired last year sending me on a new search. I went to three other barbershops where they charged full price for a crew cut (crew cuts are always way cheaper in a legit barbershop), no straight razor, no horse brush, no powder and no witch hazel. I found a shop that billed themselves as an old time barbershop with the old time service but when I went in I saw the price was 50 bucks. I couldn't turn around fast enough. My new barber is old school, provides a real barbershop experience, gives a reduced price for crew cuts and will throw in a beard trim for less than the others charged just for a crappy haircut with no frills.  frivolous banter is free. 

17 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Let me know in advance, maybe we can do a day float.

Will do but only if I get to pay all expenses and dinner for four at the finest restaurant in Fairbanks that will have us. 

Bradley County, Tennessee is one of the worst in the state for new cases, etc. Why?  A person related this story- went to the doctor's office for lab work. A lady in the waiting room took off her mask, sneezed and then put her mask back on. Duh!

5 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Will do but only if I get to pay all expenses and dinner for four at the finest restaurant in Fairbanks that will have us. 

That would be really nice. Just FYI, they will all have us, No dress codes in Fairbanks. It's very casual, we can go into any restaurant in town after a week long float without having to go home and "clean-up" first.

I've only had two barbers my entire life. The second one, for the last 25 years, retired last year sending me on a new search. I went to three other barbershops where they charged full price for a crew cut (crew cuts are always way cheaper in a legit barbershop), no straight razor, no horse brush, no powder and no witch hazel. I found a shop that billed themselves as an old time barbershop with the old time service but when I went in I saw the price was 50 bucks. I couldn't turn around fast enough. My new barber is old school, provides a real barbershop experience, gives a reduced price for crew cuts and will throw in a beard trim for less than the others charged just for a crappy haircut with no frills.  frivolous banter is free. 

This is a parallel to the Old time fly shop I'm talking about. Or, old time local (you fill in the blank) shop I'm talking about. They know what they are doing. You get person to person interaction and the banter is free.

Ask your on-line fly shop what the hot fly is where you are going this weekend and you get bupkis. Ask them why your hackle twists when you try to wrap it, you get bupkis. Ask them to replace the rod that broke on the first trip you get bupkis.

whats a haircut?

I dunno.

Been letting my hair and beard wander for 10 months now, I am starting to look like Jesus.

I also go to an old school barbershop, cant wait till I walk in with this someday, they are all old Italian barbers.

Its going to be hilarious. 

I can already hear it....

Oh-a-my gawd!!....Whatta da hell is-a-dat!!!

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Whats a haircut?

I start freaking out when my head hair gets over a 1/4 inch. Drives me nuts. Under normal conditions every 3 to 4 weeks it's time to freshen up. My face is another story.

1 hour ago, xterrabill said:

whats a haircut?

I dunno.

Been letting my hair and beard wander for 10 months now, I am starting to look like Jesus.

I also go to an old school barbershop, cant wait till I walk in with this someday, they are all old Italian barbers.

Its going to be hilarious. 

I can already hear it....

Oh-a-my gawd!!....Whatta da hell is-a-dat!!!

My first barber was molitiers. Old school Italian and the best haircut money could buy. 

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

That would be really nice. Just FYI, they will all have us, No dress codes in Fairbanks. It's very casual, we can go into any restaurant in town after a week long float without having to go home and "clean-up" first.

Fairbanks sounds like my kind of town. 

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I did give myself one haircut with my beard trimmers. The result did look like my first fly. I tried to buy trimmers but all the cheaper ones were out of stock with only the 300 dollar ones available. I wasn't about to spend that much on one.

Of course, you had the wrong tool for the job. I didn't mention this, but I used the (full-size) trimmer I bought to trim our dog! ; ) I clean and oil after each use, and animal hair is generally tougher to cut than human hair so suitability was fine.  My familiarity with the tool surely didn't hurt and the dog was relieved that she didn't come "under the gun" that time.  For anyone who "has" to ask: Still, no fleas!  :  )

I start freaking out when my head hair gets over a 1/4 inch. Drives me nuts. Under normal conditions every 3 to 4 weeks it's time to freshen up. My face is another story.

My first barber was molitiers. Old school Italian and the best haircut money could buy. 

Fairbanks sounds like my kind of town. 

We love it here.

I was thinking mange. Glad to hear your no worse for the wear. 

Thanks for the warning.  I read up on it, and will buy my own trimmer if I do it again. We have a "clean" dog, as dogs go, but I don't like the risk.

Been cutting my own hair since before the military laid me off in '92.  Actually, started doing it around '87 or so.  That part of the "lockdown" didn't affect me.  Nor the wife, much, since she keeps her hair fairly short.  But, she was glad when the local salon opened again.