Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Justin H

Hello!

Hello everyone,

Been a bit of a lurker here ever since I began fly fishing/tying a few years ago. Anyways, I figured it was about time I joined the fun, so here I am!

I began spin fishing with my grandfather as soon as I could hold a rod, and fishing has stuck with me as my one true love ever since. A few years ago I chose to try out fly fishing when I stumbled across my grandfather's noodly old glass rod with a cracked line and jammed reel (which he never learned how to properly use). I was instantly hooked and I got myself some more modern gear. Fly tying simply came naturally after that, since the trees behind me were always more hungry than the fish.

I normally fish warmwater for bluegill, bass, and pike because that is what is closest to home. However, since I have turned 18 and my parents are now ok with me going on long drives by myself, I have begun exploring coldwater fishing, and I caught my first ever trout (quite by accident after spooking many fish) in the driftless of northeast Iowa. I simply can't get enough of the quiet valleys, pristine spring creeks, and beautiful wild fish.

Tight lines,

Justin

Welcome to the site, Justin.  Happy to have some more young bloods come into the site.  There's quite a few of you, now.

I sure hope you're into taking pictures, as those 

12 hours ago, Justin H said:

... quiet valleys, pristine spring creeks, and beautiful wild fish.

Sound wonderful.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

Welcome to the site, Justin.  Happy to have some more young bloods come into the site.  There's quite a few of you, now.

I sure hope you're into taking pictures, as those 

Sound wonderful.

Thanks Mike. I'm not too great at taking pictures yet, but I certainly try and I'm slowly getting better. Next time I take a trip I will be sure to post some pictures.

Welcome to the site Justin!  I too love to fish for bluegills/panfish and cut my teeth on ultralight and light spin casting.  In fact I was tying flies and using a casting bubble 10 years before I started fly FISHING!.  I'm from central NY, born and bred!

I also like to work with youth and newer tiers.  In fact I am currently running as series of 5 swaps from now until the end of March 2021 designed for newer tiers/those new to swaps.  Check the "Fly Swaps & Contests" portion of this forum to see what's available (this is a series of separate and individual swaps so you can join just one or more - what ever you are interested in and NO you are not committing to tying flies until March if you do not want to!).  If you look at the "Beginners" section - located right above the Swaps section you will see some more back round info on the swaps as well.  I'd be happy to work with you.

Also, since you love to fish for bluegill PM me your address and I'll send you a killer fly for BULLgill!  It's the first fly I ever tied (~50 years ago!) that I got out of a three page article in Outdoor Life magazine.  To peak your interest it requires no vise, fly tying hook, no thread, no feathers, no hackle AND no synthetics to tie this pattern!  Like I said I like working with new tiers!  Or, if you join one of the swaps I can include it with your flies then.  Let me know and again welcome to this fine site!