Fly Tying
Landon P

What do you use a second vise for?

I think I have three.  I have my original Danvise and probably my first or second vise, non-rotary.  I gave one to my niece in case she ever finds time to learn how to tie.  Tough when you're working and have a two year old to watch.  I don't think I've ever used two at one time.   Not sure I even have a spot to clamp it on my tying desk.

I have two vises on the desk, and a few others laying around. I have the small Renzetti Traveler with the small jaws for most tying and it handles down to the 32. I also have a standard Renzetti that I mainly use for bigger hooks and ties. Either one could handle both duties but just used to using them for specific purposes. Larger model has lever closing head and is nicer when playing around and using different size hooks. Smaller one is still the thumb screw head and slower to adjust when changing hook styles. 

I have two, a pretty nice one I bought some years back and now a really nice one I recently inherited. Can't bring myself to put either away. 

I have two one that I tie all the stuff to refill fly boxes and the second one I like to tie Atlantic salmon fly and sometime I will start working on one of these salmon flies and I cant finish in one sitting so I can leave it in the vise till I can come back to work on it sometime a day or two later they are very time consuming and can take a few hours so with that I always have one for my general tying. Oh yeah they are just great pieces of engineering art to look at you have to appreciate that.

Mmmm....I didn’t read all the replies but I flew though it real quick and didn’t see this mentioned.

I use a second vise when I’m tying flies like a dragonfly or damselfly or streamer when I use mono off the back of the fly to tie the materials onto and hold The mono banjo string tight.

Basically for extended body flies

My HMH TRV doesn't do deer hair flies well but it does everything else well. My Regal does do deer hair poppers well. It holds the very big hooks well and is a very steady platform for pulling thread tight to flair the deer hair.