Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Okay, on the contest...LAST CHANCE

I only have a couple of flies sent in for contest. I have a lot of flies for filling boxes for Healing Waters and Breast Cancer outings but would really like to have some flies to vote on for the reel I giving away. After the first of the month I will take pictures, post them and we can vote on them for contest winner but would like more entries. I anyone is going to to get in but be late me know. All flies sent in will go out as donations to good causes, and NO, that's not me.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne, OK  73628

Reel to winner,

DSC01721.JPG

DSC01722.JPG

If OK with you I'd love to tie a selection of some streamers for the donation if you don't mind.  You see I volunteered at Camp Ta Kum Ta for 7 years in my younger days - the camps first 7 years of existence.  At the time we were the 5th camp for kids with cancer in the nation.  I also worked for the American Red Cross and had duties in the Service to the Military and their Families as a caseworker.  So both these causes are close to my heart so I don't mind helping out. 

Sounds good WWK, and what I'm going to do is open this up to a donation fly tying collection. I'm still going to do a contest and it will still be a dry fly, a wet fly, a streamer. No restrictions on the types of flies. I will still give the reel to the most votes in a category and will post pics and vote among ourselves based on the flies I pick to judge and the fly reel will still go to the winner. The flies will be boxed by me and sent to one of the Healing Waters or Wounded Warrior groups for their fishing or fund raising auctions. No restrictions on extra flies and all will be boxed and appreciated by any group receiving them. Let's do this but make sure the big three, dry, wet, and streamer are sent separated for judging in their category.

Nick Szabo, PO Box 361, Cheyenne, OK 73628

So let's keep it simple, have fun, and help some others out with our extras.

Sounds good and count me in the swap as well.  Some of my donations may come in a separate cover - I'll include a note so there's no confusion.

I am sorry, I seemed to have missed the original post.  I cannot seem to locate it.  Anyway, I am always glad to donate.  My dry flies are rather amateurish, but my wets and streamers are okay.  Can you please re-state what the donation is for, when its due, etc.  I am glad to participate.

I killed the original post Darrell because I guess I made it too confusing (even to myself). Now I just want to have 3 flies to judge and picture, a dry, a wet, a streamer. Any extras will go into the mix for the donations. I will provide two nice fly boxes for the flies and one will go a woman's group and one to a men's group. Without locking in to a particular state group at this time I have looked over and like the "Healing Waters" military group and the "Casting for Recovery" group for women's cancer survivors. Hope this helps and I will pick a couple of fly boxes to suit the groups as much as possible. They can use the boxes for either their fishing efforts or fund raising auctions as they see fit.

Thanks ahead for those donating and the three flies for the dry, wet, streamer category should be singled out if you send extras. Again, no big rush at this time with summer being here and the virus messing up a lot of people but I want to have these ready to send out by September 1st. 

I have got the flies tied. I also have several donation flies- a winged wet fly, a couple bad Thunder Creeks (they’re harder than I thought!!!) a nice little hackle winged streamer, and several nice soft hackles tied with silk. One or two are Gossamer silk and the rest are Belding-Corticelli Size A which is great for soft hackles. Their darning silk is amazing (I have a good bit) but it is doubled so you have to unspool it, separate the 2 threads, and respool it. 

My donation flies went in the mail today.  I'll be sending my contest flies under a different cover.  Hope these flies will help these two fine organizations.

Thanks guys. Got a few packages in and will start looking for the right box for the gifts.

Got some great flies in today. Some very generous contributions from several people. I will keep track of them and list and picture them later. WWKimba  and Rich Ziegler especially contribute heavily. Enough there to almost fill a box in themselves. If I really get overflow I will do more than just two boxes. Several groups can use them for their fly fishing outings with people either challenged or recovering for different reasons.

Nick

Yep. Sorry if I didn't PM you on it. I love those little boxes and they are my favorite for soft hackles or classic wets. Great pocket size too. Since learning how easy it is to fix most "sprung" tabs on them I have put several back into use. 

Thanks, Nick

PS...Have some nice flies for the Charity boxes but would like more flies for the dry, wet, streamer contest. 

Contest flies in the mail today plus one additional fun fly.  I tied a #10 hook streamer - the fun part is it's a 51 XL - tied with the original posts rules.  It's a first tied prototype - not pretty by any stretch!  But I thought you might like what you would've gotten - a more polished version of course.

Okay guys. Even if you're not interested in winning the reel and chose to have me donate if you win I'd like more pictures to put on board to let members choose from. Your flies will not be identified so no need to be bashful. Just get some entries to both picture and vote on and fill the boxes to send to group outings. A couple of you have already done a job of filling the boxes but I'd like to see more entries in the dry fly, wet fly and streamer category to picture.