Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Reprinting of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles 

@Bill_729

WARNING before buying, though, from the book's own introduction:

"Though many of the methods shown here can be used or adapted to dress patterns for species other than trout, this book focusses  specifically on the tying of trout flies. As a result, we have excluded certain types of techniques."

Per Introduction, excluded are:

Atlantic salmon patterns

Saltwater and warm water patterns

Wooden or foam body poppers

Plastic diving lips

More than basic spinning and stacking of deer hair

Flies formed from epoxy, silicone adhesives and hot glue

Techniques that can only be performed on a true rotary vise (Norvise magic)

Ultra-realistic tying methods

Also, historical trout tying techniques from the distant past are not focused on with specificity

12 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

Anyone know if the (new) book has anything at all to say about non-natural fibers,  possibly including foam? Being an older book,  I wouldn't expect it to unless someone updated it;  I am just curious.  I may ask for the book from Santa.... : )

Ask

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

Or, like me, they don't buy it because I'll never tie that many different flies or use most of those techniques.  LOTS of tiers out there who, like me, only tie what they need for fishing. 

People like me will never use 90% of the information in a book like that, so it is definitely not worth the money for us.

I'd say it depends on if your desire to learn more tying techniques.  Who knows something in there might actually have some bearing on what you tie. Personally I don't see how more knowledge can be detrimental.  That's not to disregard what you said mikechell, just a comment on more knowledge being a good thing.

Oh, I am into gaining more knowledge, Sandan.  ALL for it, as I am an instructor at the vocational level, I am constantly trying to up the curiosity level of my attendees. (students)

But I'm not going to gain enough from an $80.00 book to make it worth the money.  It's a money thing, not a knowledge thing.  I'm already paying for the internet, and there is more there than I'll even learn in the lifetime I have left.

5 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Oh, I am into gaining more knowledge, Sandan.  ALL for it, as I am an instructor at the vocational level, I am constantly trying to up the curiosity level of my attendees. (students)

But I'm not going to gain enough from an $80.00 book to make it worth the money.  It's a money thing, not a knowledge thing.  I'm already paying for the internet, and there is more there than I'll even learn in the lifetime I have left.

I get it. I wasn't directing my comment at you particularly, just commenting in general. Your post made a great entry for that, IMHO

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Or, like me, they don't buy it because I'll never tie that many different flies or use most of those techniques.  LOTS of tiers out there who, like me, only tie what they need for fishing. 

People like me will never use 90% of the information in a book like that, so it is definitely not worth the money for us.

Or it's a generational thing and where they choose to get their information from.

Kimo

Could be, Kimo!  I'll be 61 in two weeks.  My generation grew up using the interne ... oh, wait, no we didn't!

What are you talking about?

😃

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

I hope so!  I could stand another 60 years, as long as I can STAND.

👍🤞

2 hours ago, caddis16 said:

Fine book. I bought it way back when it 1st came out. Haven't opened it in years.

I have not read mine cover to cover but every now and then I pick a random chapter and go through it. I always find something interesting.

15 hours ago, mikechell said:

Careful, you are generalizing again. I'm pretty sure that the people who will never use 90% of the information in a book like that are not all people like you.  It's quite a distinguished book on fly tying, arguably one-of-a-kind, and that will be a draw for some people, even people like you.  Since the cost of the book is less than that of a "good" fly line, and has an even longer lifespan, I estimate they are going to sell a few copies...  Stack 'em up at an Orvis store and see how long they last.