Fly Tying
petelangevin

Any shooters on here, need advice

I am looking for a single shot 22 for fun and to bring back memories from my childhood.   Anyone have experience with Stevens/Springfiels/Savage models 15a/b or 120a?  I was trying to find a bolt action similar to what my late uncle had when we were kids.   Bolt action that had to be cocked by pulling back a knob at the rear of the bolt.   

I know there are plenty of these out there.   

I've never had a Savage 22 but I do have a Remington model 41 Targetmaster single shot .22 which is a bolt action (shoots S,L,LR). If you end up not finding the Savage give a look for the Remington it might fit the bill for what you are after. I'm not sure how easy/hard the one I have is to find since it is an old model but I'm sure there's probably some out there to be had I would think.

I checked out their sight,  nice new stuff.  I am really interested in the vintage.  It was old when i was young.   I will check out the 41 if i cant locate the others near by.   Saw a sweet us military training 1885 single shot 22 short but it was 1200$.   Far out of my budget.

Those are all good brands. I have an old Marlin as you describe. Single shot, bolt action with the cocking hammer. I've had it a long time, since it was new, well over 42 years. I have a scope on it & pester the Squirrels around here with it once the season opens.

Perhaps check out the Cricket series from Keystone Sporting Arms too. They seem to have a very big following, and they produce .22 cal. bolt action rifles. They're reasonably priced. 

My one son had wanted a rifle, before it was discovered that he had a cancer, and we looked at those Cricket rifles. Did not purchase one, but may still do that. 

Most likely your uncle had a mossberg model 25. I don't own one but I do have a Mossberg 144 match rifle from my Boy Scout days, a Remington fieldmaster from my hunting days and a S&W model 41 target pistol.  I'm guessing the Boy Scouts no longer do marksmanship. Your right there are plenty of old mossbergs around but I would go with a modern one if your intention is to shoot the crap out of it. .22's are great fun at the range and cheap to shoot. Springfield and savage make perfectly acceptable plinkers. 

I will end up buying 2 22’s.   The single shot is more of a nostalgia thing for me.  No intention of putting thousands of rounds thru it.  Plinking and teaching my daughter accuracy one shot at a time.   The other will end up either being a magazine or tube feed to carry Multiple rounds.   I like the tube feed idea because you are not limited to just lr.   

Than I would recommend the Remington field master. I believe it's a model 732. A bit pricey but will last many generations. 

I've got a pump action air rifle, shoots .22 pellets.  Puts one through the skull of a raccoon within 30 feet or so.  I don't trust it's accuracy beyond that.  

11 hours ago, mikechell said:

I've got a pump action air rifle, shoots .22 pellets.  Puts one through the skull of a raccoon within 30 feet or so.  I don't trust it's accuracy beyond that.  

I have a pellet gun. The factory said that 25 yards was about the limit. Accuracy is good and use hunting type pellets.

If you want a rimfire gun that is deadly accurate and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot, you might want to look into a .17HMR. I have a Savage .17 and I can punch one hole in a target, with a 3 round group,at 100 yards. There is little to no noticeable recoil difference between a .17 and a .22. So much fun to shoot.

.17 is expensive to shoot, IMHO. Thought about one but scratched the idea when I saw the price of the ammo.

.17hmr is a super deadly varmint round and is accurate for several hundred yards.   Where i live most of my shots are goind to be between 10 and 50 yards.   Its overkill for my needs.   

I am happy with 22 in all its variations.   Plus 22s are pretty quiet and you won’t attract much attention with them. 

Go to gun broker and search for old Sears models... I can’t remember the models or who made them for them but they were actually excellent guns. Exactly what you’re talking about JCPenney also.