Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Next project...1/5 scale truck

Well now that the latest project "Superbeast" is pretty much done, I had told myself I was not going to do another big project. That idea lasted all of about a week. After a bit of thinking I decided to just finally go all out and build the biggest tube chassis truck I could build. So setting my sights on a 1/5 scale build. Not sure yet what the total dimensions will end up being, but guessing somewhere around 30" long x 22" wide and around 50lb range.

Just had the first delivery of parts today for this project. Some fully custom CNC'd Hesse 1/5 scale axles. These things are a real piece of beautiful work in person. This will probably be a long (fall/winter) project because it is going to be a hard build, not to mention costly. I'll update as I get moving along with it as time & money permits.

2nd pic is them compared to some extra wide clod axles on one of my trucks lol

SSLekS.jpg
ttzimB.jpg

Holy Moly!  You'll be able to put an actual Go-cart gasoline engine in that thing!

ZTrFnnb.jpg

kHrofHD.jpg

Now have all the parts to do the assembling of the axles. Before I did that though, I could not resist this. Bought a stand for my bench grinder and some cloth polishing wheels to put on it and went to work at polishing the axles up to a mirror finish. This thing is gonna be blinding coming towards ya when driving it lol

Also got the front and rear diffs now, as well as center driveshafts, center diff/motor mount, axle shaft cups, and Chevy Silverado x-maxx body. Plan on ordering about 40ft of 5/16" .065 wall tubing tonight for building the chassis out of that.

Up late doing some work on the 1/5 scale build tonight. Starting to build the axles internals now. Having to modify the inside of the housing a bit. They are made to fit Losi DBXL differentials which is what I am using, but I have the Fastlane Machine "4ever" CVD's which are stronger than the stock axles and because of that they have cups that are about .040 larger than the stock cups, and the pins for the cvd's are a bit bigger which means I'm having to open up the area around the cups a bit for clearance. Took some work but first one is done and fits in nicely now.

Also got the body delivered today. Went with the new 28" long Chevy Silverado body. Pretty much dwarfs my 1/10 scale Guardian body.

S5vbYiA.jpg

YwjUYzX.jpg

Hmmmmm.  Did you just use a file?  Or perhaps a Dremel tool?  With all the work you're putting into the drive train and chassis, seems a shame to cover it with a painted body!  

How's the Bonsai garden doing?  Last time we saw that, the storm had blown everything around.

Using a file with a good undercut. Started with dremel but the housing is really wide (about 2.5") so hard to get in there properly with a dremel and get the area I need to work.

Bonsai garden is a jungle right now. It grew up with tons of weeds while I was gone on my 2 week trip back in June, and every since I got back I've been slammed with rod work plus the heat has been just crazy hot so not ideal for being out working. Supposed to drop down into the 80's this coming week and I'm close to being caught up on rods, so I hope to be able to get it back in shape soon again.

😒 Bonsai is not to be ignored, young Skywalker!  Oops, wrong movie reference.

"Wax on, Wax off, Daniel-san."  "Paint the fence, Daniel-san."  "If the root is strong, the tree will survive!"  "Trim that tree!  Tote that Barge!"  Wait ... where'd THAT come from?