Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Next project...1/5 scale truck

Yep that's exactly how real MT's are. Their headers still aim forward like that because the engines sit far back in the chassis, so if they had the collectors facing backwards (normal position for normal trucks) then when the suspension was fully compressed the rear tires and/or sway bar arms would make contact with the headers in some trucks. They then run turn downs on the ends of the collectors like I made on mine, that way they shoot the exhaust straight out the side rather than forward.

BTW- Couldn't resist. Put the tires on it and started driving it slowly in the basement shop tonight. Flipped some power to it and it didn't seem too peppy off the line. I found the motor is loose already so I think that's causing the gear mesh to close up and making it dog'ish off the line. So I flipped it with about 75% power on the trigger just to see if the power was there or not. It rolled out about 2ft then stood up on the back tires shooting the area rug out from under it crashing into a wood stand/table knocking the table 6ft across the shop 😲 Needless to say I unplugged it and walked away from it till I can tighten the motor up and get it outside in a day or two where it has room 😂This is the first RC I have ever owned that actually scares me. 50lbs can do some serious damage!

😆  I had to read that bit to Jennie.  We're both laughing, as it reads like a keystone cops episode.

46 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

It rolled out about 2ft then stood up on the back tires shooting the area rug out from under it crashing into a wood stand/table knocking the table 6ft across the shop

🤣

Just a lil' sneak peak 🙂 been working non stop on final assembly. Going somewhat slow but going well. I'm thinking with a little luck it may be "done" by early next week. Nice to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel after nearly 10 months building this project.

H4OIyMt.jpg

qcepGvk.jpg

Never a real "monster truck" but throughout my 20's and early 30's I was always into muddin' and big trucks and owned numerous real trucks like Blazers and GMC pick ups which I put 8"-12" lift kits and 38.5"-44" tires on.

This was not my biggest one, but was prob one of my nicer ones. It was a 77 Blazer that I use to show a lot back in the late 80's with a 8" lift and 38.5" tires

EEVh34A.jpg

Been working almost daily on this since getting it back. Got a lot done. Most the stuff is in and mounted in the chassis. Just made the limiting straps and installed those yesterday. Printed an LED headlight panel that will also act as a bit of a shield that will help to keep a bit of the dirt off the front tires out of the cab. Just got done wiring in the switch for the lights in the rear fuel cell and all the wires for that ran nice and neat under the frame. Hope to have some time in the next day or two to get the esc calibrated and have that done and then just some final odd and ends and will hope to have some final "finished" pics maybe with in a week or so if all goes well.

H30c5Ig.jpg

fRwuLNZ.jpg

MDNudRK.jpg

XTbW8ve.jpg

wlYqUB8.jpg

Upgrades/mods on the 1/5 scale today. As with any custom project after you get it going there's always the chasing down of what needs to be more heavy duty. One major issue was breaking servo gears in the s9020 servo in crashes. Even with the HD servo saver when 50lbs of truck slams the front wheels sideways in a wreck bad things happen fast when the axle has a ton of steering radius built into it. So I fabricated some steering stops out of steel and used the existing holes already in the top of the Hesse axles. Had a cartwheel style wreck the other day and servo gears were just fine so that worked well. Also upgraded the 4-links from 5/16 to 3/8 steel after snapping one of the 5/16. And also added two more 5/16" steel rear steer locks outs so it now had quad lock out bars since it bent one of the ones when I just had dual on it. Still have to swap the front 4 links to the new 3/8" bars but will do that this week.

hbz8kAf.jpg
nD83qZq.jpg
Y7L3onP.jpg

Geezo Peezo, Steve !!!  Do you keep track of how many hours you've got wrapped up in that?  It is definitely an impressive machine !!

I actually was somewhat keeping track when I started building it, but I stopped counting when I got around 400hrs, and that was maybe 3/4 the way through it. So I'm gonna guess well over 500+hrs into it.

LSpUJFN.jpg
nAeovBv.jpg
LWZEa5d.jpg

Thanks Les. I actually follow that guy on youtube, he's got some good vids on there.

Got the 1/5 out for a bit of a run today to test the new mods I did before the weather gets bad tomorrow.