Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TSMcDougald

A Muddler Minnow Gone Awry

I decided I needed a few more Muddlers for my fly box.

20200715_204547.thumb.jpg.3c17772b2fbd238ed9a4e0a9b46f506d.jpg

At this point I realized I had tied the front wings in pointing up rather than down. I was tempted to untie them and redo it but this is the best looking wingset I have ever done. I also realized that I hadn't left a lot of room for the deer hair head. So at this point I am thinking I might do a split thread woodchuck collar...or maybe squirrel...or some kind of soft hackle? The fly will sit in my vise until I come up with a plan on how to finnish it. Needless to say, I am open to suggestion.

Careful leaving it in the vise I've heard it can snap the jaws. As to the fly it would be cool if you did some sort of soft hackle or dubbing look with it. 

8 minutes ago, TSMcDougald said:

I haven't completely ruled that out.

You know I’m just busting. Lol

3 minutes ago, Mogup said:

You know I’m just busting. Lol

Yeah, I realized that after I responded...been one of those kind of days. Just a half step behind all day.

Hi how about making a small C.D.C hackle then split the thread and make a head with chopped up C.D.C put into a clip then offered into the split thread then make a dubbed C.D.C

Head then clip to shape you will have a killer muddler regarding leaving the file in the hook in the vice not necessary just put a few half hitches on the head and a small amount of head cement if you experience a tying problem again hope this helps

Kind regards Steve 😉

@flytire That video is what reminded me I needed to tie some muddlers!

@niveker Wow, that original does have a sparse head. I have always found the way fly patterns evolve over time to be fascinating.

Only caught two fish on a MM. One was a cross-eyed trout that hit the fly three times before being hooked. The second was a crappie that was under the resort dock at Lake of the Ozarks.