Jump to content
Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Frog

Recommended Posts

Ok. so I have been tying Crease Flies for several weeks now. As I sat and watched some plasti-dip dry on a fly, I started thinking about how I could make a frog pattern out of this sheet foam I have. A side note, My wife found basically a 6 in thick package of multi colored sheet foam at a Dollar General and brought it home to me, so I have a LOT of foam to play with.

Anyhow, I started thinking about a sandwich of these foam sheets to build up a body. I took my template and cut 4 pieces. I tied a knot in 3 pieces of green,round medium rubber legs. I glued 2 pieces of the foam together,then glued the legs to the top part of the foam. I let it dry for a few, then glued the edges of one side of the foam to the other. I slipped the non glued end past the shank of a 1/0 curved worm hook,then glued the other edge together. Some Copic pens in Green,Black and Flesh tone, and I have my frog. I LOVE the curve in the body from pressing it onto a curved worm hook. I think that will provide some interesting action

I let it dry for a bit, then filed the bathtub up and threw the frog in. It landed right side up 5 times and upside down 5 times. It self righted 50% of the time as well.

I have a couple of concerns that wont be put to rest until I actually get to get out and cast it.

1. It will cast like having a leaf on your line. If so, I plan on trimming it to a more streamline pattern

2. It wont self right. Maybe color both sides the same instead of using a flesh tone belly.

3. No eyes. I think adding eyes will make it cast even more awkwardly, but wont know until I get it out and play around.

4. Rough edges. Maybe take a course Dremel wheel and see if I can even things up a bit,or maybe a razor.

IMG-3866 1.jpg

IMG-3867 1.jpg

IMG-3868 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Layered foam sheets from Dollar Tree.  I got hits on this pretty regularly the last few times out.

2020 Richmond Flies 011.JPG

Yours look good, Duck.  I "sewed" my legs in after gluing the body to the hook, just as if it was a solid piece of foam.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if I colored it upside down and added some eyes, if it would float,hook up? That would make it a bit more weedless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good.  I would tie it on a straight shank hook, with the angle on the front, it might end up as a slider/diver.  With the three sheets of foam on top, is it 2 mm? ,  it might land hook up.  Didn't read far enough, so it's a 50-50 shot.   I tie a pan fish pattern using 3 to 6 mm foam and with standard wire hook it often lands hook up.  A quick strip rights it.

As far as eyes go, on a frog, I'd add them.  Sitting on the side of the fly shouldn't impact how it lands.  Color wise.  The white belly is a prominent feature on a frog.  The shape of your fly and the legs in the back scream frog.   I get to try out my new frog pattern out this weekend.  Since it's designed to ride hook up, I can only hope it lands up 50% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Philly said:

Looks good.  I would tie it on a straight shank hook, with the angle on the front, it might end up as a slider/diver.  With the three sheets of foam on top, is it 2 mm? ,  it might land hook up.  Didn't read far enough, so it's a 50-50 shot.   I tie a pan fish pattern using 3 to 6 mm foam and with standard wire hook it often lands hook up.  A quick strip rights it.

As far as eyes go, on a frog, I'd add them.  Sitting on the side of the fly shouldn't impact how it lands.  Color wise.  The white belly is a prominent feature on a frog.  The shape of your fly and the legs in the back scream frog.   I get to try out my new frog pattern out this weekend.  Since it's designed to ride hook up, I can only hope it lands up 50% of the time.

Its 4 sheets of foam total,two top, two bottom and I think they may be 1/32 thick sheets. I did tie one on a straight shank hook ,but was about impossible to get a downward curve. If I laminate the sheets and poke the hook through, front and back, I might be able to achieve a bit of a curve,but would be worried about the body being secure and strong. I've only made 3 so far and am still experimenting. I really need to test float this to see if any of my concerns are real before tweaking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried 2 part epoxy on one and it was WAY too messy. I used superglue for the next couple.

I had a chance to float the fly today. As expected, its tough to cast,but not impossible. It landed right side up 50% of the time. It self righted about 50% of the time as well. It has an AWESOME action and actually looks like a swimming frog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use superglue for mine.  Holds up well.  I lose the legs material before any "delaminating" of the foam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...