Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Frog

Ok. so I have been tying Crease Flies for several weeks now. As I sat and watched some plasti-dip dry on a fly, I started thinking about how I could make a frog pattern out of this sheet foam I have. A side note, My wife found basically a 6 in thick package of multi colored sheet foam at a Dollar General and brought it home to me, so I have a LOT of foam to play with.

Anyhow, I started thinking about a sandwich of these foam sheets to build up a body. I took my template and cut 4 pieces. I tied a knot in 3 pieces of green,round medium rubber legs. I glued 2 pieces of the foam together,then glued the legs to the top part of the foam. I let it dry for a few, then glued the edges of one side of the foam to the other. I slipped the non glued end past the shank of a 1/0 curved worm hook,then glued the other edge together. Some Copic pens in Green,Black and Flesh tone, and I have my frog. I LOVE the curve in the body from pressing it onto a curved worm hook. I think that will provide some interesting action

I let it dry for a bit, then filed the bathtub up and threw the frog in. It landed right side up 5 times and upside down 5 times. It self righted 50% of the time as well.

I have a couple of concerns that wont be put to rest until I actually get to get out and cast it.

1. It will cast like having a leaf on your line. If so, I plan on trimming it to a more streamline pattern

2. It wont self right. Maybe color both sides the same instead of using a flesh tone belly.

3. No eyes. I think adding eyes will make it cast even more awkwardly, but wont know until I get it out and play around.

4. Rough edges. Maybe take a course Dremel wheel and see if I can even things up a bit,or maybe a razor.

IMG-3866 1.jpg

IMG-3867 1.jpg

IMG-3868 1.jpg

Layered foam sheets from Dollar Tree.  I got hits on this pretty regularly the last few times out.

2020 Richmond Flies 011.JPG

Yours look good, Duck.  I "sewed" my legs in after gluing the body to the hook, just as if it was a solid piece of foam.  

I'm wondering if I colored it upside down and added some eyes, if it would float,hook up? That would make it a bit more weedless

Looks good.  I would tie it on a straight shank hook, with the angle on the front, it might end up as a slider/diver.  With the three sheets of foam on top, is it 2 mm? ,  it might land hook up.  Didn't read far enough, so it's a 50-50 shot.   I tie a pan fish pattern using 3 to 6 mm foam and with standard wire hook it often lands hook up.  A quick strip rights it.

As far as eyes go, on a frog, I'd add them.  Sitting on the side of the fly shouldn't impact how it lands.  Color wise.  The white belly is a prominent feature on a frog.  The shape of your fly and the legs in the back scream frog.   I get to try out my new frog pattern out this weekend.  Since it's designed to ride hook up, I can only hope it lands up 50% of the time.

9 hours ago, Philly said:

Looks good.  I would tie it on a straight shank hook, with the angle on the front, it might end up as a slider/diver.  With the three sheets of foam on top, is it 2 mm? ,  it might land hook up.  Didn't read far enough, so it's a 50-50 shot.   I tie a pan fish pattern using 3 to 6 mm foam and with standard wire hook it often lands hook up.  A quick strip rights it.

As far as eyes go, on a frog, I'd add them.  Sitting on the side of the fly shouldn't impact how it lands.  Color wise.  The white belly is a prominent feature on a frog.  The shape of your fly and the legs in the back scream frog.   I get to try out my new frog pattern out this weekend.  Since it's designed to ride hook up, I can only hope it lands up 50% of the time.

Its 4 sheets of foam total,two top, two bottom and I think they may be 1/32 thick sheets. I did tie one on a straight shank hook ,but was about impossible to get a downward curve. If I laminate the sheets and poke the hook through, front and back, I might be able to achieve a bit of a curve,but would be worried about the body being secure and strong. I've only made 3 so far and am still experimenting. I really need to test float this to see if any of my concerns are real before tweaking it.

I tried 2 part epoxy on one and it was WAY too messy. I used superglue for the next couple.

I had a chance to float the fly today. As expected, its tough to cast,but not impossible. It landed right side up 50% of the time. It self righted about 50% of the time as well. It has an AWESOME action and actually looks like a swimming frog

I use superglue for mine.  Holds up well.  I lose the legs material before any "delaminating" of the foam.