Fly Tying
flytire

What’s a good beer

17 hours ago, petelangevin said:

I was out that way this morning,  not for beer but to pick up my daughter after a week long horse show in ohio.   

I am actually considering moving that way when i retire.   I need to learn that area.  Our horse is about 10 min away from the quabog river in brookfield.   

Funny I was on Holland Ave in Somerville for work yesterday-

Central Mass isn't a bad area for fly fishing.   Brookfield puts you 20-30 minutes drive or so from at least 3 great Trout rivers, the Swift,  the Quinepoxet and the Still Water. 5 if you include the Millers and the Ware rivers. I would imagine you've fished some of them but if not they're all well known to any local fly anglers and have places for parking with easy access.  The Still Water has a run of landlocked salmon in October.  If you want to get serious the Deerfield and  Housatonic rivers are a little over an hours drive.  There are also numerous warm water streams which are generally stocked with trout in the spring and hold fall fish, yellow perch, small bass and blue gills year round.  I took these pictures on the French river on Sunday morning - This years stocked rainbows are gone but it was loaded with fall fish which were great fun and good trout practice.  (sorry for hijacking your beer thread Norm).

IMG_6139.thumb.JPG.39cab14e409339165e388de384fa05db.JPGIMG_6140.thumb.JPG.ae2782591c59ff70ce9e532236a9c911.JPG

1 hour ago, flytire said:

okay

so whats a good beer?

fishing the swift river is a different subject

giphy-downsized.gif

IMO you can't go wrong with Sam Adams Boston Larger.  It's easy to find and available pretty much everywhere as opposed to a Sasquatch  (Full disclosure- I am a professional musician and have been known to drink beer and may have maybe seen a Sasquatch).

28 minutes ago, DFoster said:

(Full disclosure- I am a professional musician and have been known to drink beer and may have maybe seen a Sasquatch).

amateur musician here, have been called a sasquatch a few times.

"MMmmm-Beer" (Homer Simpson)

:) 

MMmmm-Beer

I'm certainly not a beer snob, having drank Schmidt's all through college years (hey - it was $5/case) and while I bummed around the country for a number of years I was happy to drink the cheapest thing I could get my hands on (Schlitz, Narragansett come immediately to mind).  And I still enjoy an Old Milwaukee when I'm at my Dad's.  However, nowadays I enjoy all the micro-brews that are available, particularly a nice bitter, hoppy beer.  Tree House is definitely one of the best I have had in a long time, but its not so good that I would buy it through their business model.  Fortunately, a good friend has a relationship with them, and his garage fridge is usually well stocked with their current product line.  But those beers are an acquired taste, and can put a spanking on the wallet if you like to tipple a few everyday, like I do.  So, I usually reach for an Harpoon IPA or a Founder's All Day IPA for my everyday beers.  Harpoon also makes some pretty good seasonal brews, definitely worth a try.  For a more average beer, I like Ying-Ling, or ding-a-ling as I like to call it.  The Sam Lager is a decent beer, but no so much their other varieties, in my opinion, but I rarely drink it.  Of course, you can never go wrong with a can of Guinness, and speaking of Irish beers, Smithwick's  makes a pretty good Irish Ale, and when I really want to treat myself, I'll search for a big bottle of Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout - Good Lord in Heaven,  I truly believe I could drink and eat nothing but that for the rest of my life.  As for Mexican beer, I'd pass up a six pack of Corona for just one bottle of Modelo Negra, but it seems that beer is hard to come by lately, and you can keep the lime, please. 

So, there you go Norm, a few more to add to your tasting list.  

No joke ... I remember seeing these in the house a few times.

Generic-White-Beer-Can-e1423776833175.jp

Needless to say ... Dad was not a connoisseur of beer.

there are about 18 cans of miller in my fridge, first come first served gents.

on Fridays near quitting time I used to walk around whistling the bud song... "here comes the king, here comes the big # one...."

yeah,  jimmy carters brother, billy beer, or the new strohs 15 pack, I remember you HAD to go to a liquor store to buy beer and soda,

then the distributors cut the throats of liquor stores and sold to grocery stores.    

15 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

Anyone remember "Billy Beer"

image.png.47f790d45524b7745c31fb37a3972160.png

$108 for an empty can these days-  If "Billa" had only lived to see it!

If you've got yuengling there they make a few good basic beers, was my go to when I lived in a place that had it.

Poopdeck the vast majority of microbreweries and midsized breweries  IPA's are pretty damn good, there are a few bad ones out there but they're rare,  the fact that you don't like IPA's doesn't make them a bad beer.

Your logic would equally suggest the fact that your like of IPA's doesn't make them a good beer. I only speak for myself and not for every beer swilling joe out there. I think they suck. Just one mans opinion and everybody is welcome to form their own opinion. Isn't this why there are so many different kinds of beer?

I enjoy good ones the same as I enjoy a good lager, stout or porter, whether I or you prefer a style of beer doesn't make that style or company good or bad. We have several micro breweries in my town 2 are not good the Auburn alehouse was one of the first their beers are exceedingly bland, lacking any kind of nuance or character it's just not good. One of our newer breweries Moonraker is exceptional every beer whether it's a hazy ipa which is what they're best known for or a stout has a complex and fresh taste that changes and brings out new flavors as the beer changes temperatures. I also like coors that doesn't make it a good beer by any means sometimes its what I feel like but the massive difference in quality between that and the moonraker I may not want at the moment is huge and very noticeable.

I only have one word add because its Saturday after 12pm and its almost 90 degrees outside, so to you who are reading this, your family's and friends  ...

Prost!

Technically speaking, the Germans really borrowed Prost (or more accurately, Prosit) from the Romans, since the word is a conjugated form of the verb prodesse, which means "to be useful," or "to agree with." Prosit is the verb's subjunctive mood and literally means "May it agree with you" or "May it be useful,"