Jump to content
Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Micro Crease Flies

Recommended Posts

After learning how to tie Crease Flies and experimenting with a layered foam frog, I had a bunch of scraps laying around on my bench. I picked up a couple of scraps and compared them to some #10 long shank hooks I have been tying some other flies on and thought, Hummm? Wonder if a really small Crease type fly would work on Bream,so.......

Micro Crease Flies. The differing shapes are due to the shape of the scraps I was using,but I thought the shapes came out pretty cool.

IMG-3884 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi regarding micro crease flies regarding your frog patterns  have you tried tying a loop of wire tied in on the top of the hook  and glue your foam body to instead of the hook therefore you effectively  have a hair rig on your floating frog with hook hanging down in the prone postion ready for a hook set hope this helps       kind regards Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi fresh water bream are usauly  bottom feeders  so if your fly fishing  you need a short leader between 2-3ft and a sinking line if your fishing with a bait fish rod  you would need a small casting weight to cast and sink your crease fly to control the depth of retrieve hope this helps

kind regards Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 70% of the Bream that I catch are topwater and the other 30% are caught within a foot or two of the top. The only time I normally find Bream right on the bottom are when its really hot or really cold. one of my favorite things is chasing "popping" Bluegills on a summer evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll work for sunfish.  I've a few in my fly box.  Best day, actually night, I had with them was in salt water.   There was a tidal pool along the beach. It was at night I could hear fish feeding.  I tied on a normal size Crease fly about  3 inches long.  Nothing.  I had couple small ones about an inch long in my box.  Didn't have anything to lose, so I tied one of them on, and started catching stripers, 6 to 10 inches long.  Caught a couple of dozen before the tide started going out and the bass moved out of the pool.  Over the years I've bluegills, green sunfish, pumpkinseed and redbreast sunfish on them, along with smallmouth and largemouth.  One suggestion is to make the profile narrower.  Tie them from regular foam, rather than pieces.   On my Crease flies I tend to tie them with the hook higher up, so I can trim the blocky shape to more minnow like shape.  Another suggestion is when you get down that small, you might want to try tying them with 1 mm foam.  

As far as bream being bottom feeders.  Not the ones around here.  Down in Tennessee we had Shellcrackers(Red Ear) and we usually fished for them with the bait on the bottom.   The suggestion for fishing a Crease fly off a sinking line is a good one.  I use it often when I fish in lakes for bass.   The length of the leader depends on the depth of the water.  For example,  if I'm in 8 foot of water I'll use an 8 foot leader.   The fly starts out on the surface, and dives when you strip it in.  When you pause the strip it will start rising toward the surface.  I get a lot of hits on the rise, and quite a few when it hits the surface and sits there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people are familiar with catching bream during their frequent breeding seasons.  Could be, the idea that bream are bottom feeders is actually when they're clearing/protecting their beds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be that Steve Sparkie is in Great Britain where bream are a completely different species from our sunfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call Umik. In the U.K. Bream are carp, at least according to google. For me bream are sunnies. I don't pay attention to their color, length of their ears or their particular name so everything is simply a sunnie and brim is a common term for any sunfish. For my bream or sunnies I catch them pretty much everywhere except the bottom. If they are not hitting on top then they are hitting on the fall in fact I think sunnies feed up and never have their noses down poking around on the bottom. Carp on the other hand seem to enjoy poking around on the bottom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...