Fly Tying

I'm never gonna have a chance to use it but here is the first salmon fly I've done. There quite fun to tie! Lmk what u should do different.

20200719_152837-01.jpeg

i would ditch the wire and use small oval or flat silver tinsel for the tip/tag and ribbing. looks like over sized craft wire

less wrap for the tip/tag and 5 wraps for the body is pretty much standard unless specified in a recipe

more feather fibers for the tail and keep the tips even

remove the excess sagging head cement or whatever was used before it sets into a sagging blob

maybe a smaller head

wing is not bad and about the right length

throat isnt bad either. i stack hairs for throats and wings but thats your choice if you dont

watch steve andrews videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/SteveAndrewsFlyTying/videos

watch the placement of materials, count wraps of tinsel tip/tag, ribbing etc

Nice first attempt! A lot good going on here. Flytire is offering great advice. I'd also suggest finding an established pattern to try which you can then tie several times. Each time you can make an improvement and being an established pattern, you have something to compare your work to. A Rusty Rat is a good fly to work on which uses basic materials and helps you learn proportions, floss work, tinsel work and collar hackle. It's slightly more complex, so maybe will be a good next step for you after you tie a few more like this one.

Great advice from both guys. I would add wrap your tag/tip and the rib in the same direction as the rest of your work. That helps hold it tight and in place!!

Based on you tying right handed...I like seeing the rib going in the direction you wrapped it this time.

Yes...it is decent.👍 There is one thing I am guessing at however...you are in a hurry. Take your time when tying. If something doesn't look right TO YOU, go back and do it again. It is worth the trouble...I learned that a looonnnggg time ago. And most important...don't worry about what others think. Just keep tying and enjoying the process.🙂

Yea I was hurrying. We were about to leave and I wanted to tie one more fly. Thanks for the advice 

16 hours ago, Landon P said:

So this one is decent? 

yes its decent but the tinsel tag needs work. eliminate the gaps when wrapping the tinsel

if you have a buyer,  if not you'll learn to tie what sells if that's the only reason your tying.

cphubert is correct. If you are tying to sell your flies then you need a buyer. To improve your chances of finding buyers stick with known patterns...but first work on and upgrade your work. I always suggest buying some good ties of recognized patterns and use them as a guide to duplicate in your own flies. Good luck!!!

Final attempt for awhile, got some orders for other flies. This one I re did things plenty of times. 1st I forgot the flank feathers then I had to re do the rib and tag multiple times. Then once I did all that good I messed up the whip finish and the head looked terrible so I re did the whole dang fly. I don't think it turned out to bad!

PSFix_20200726_124119.jpeg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.