Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

First Salmon Fly

Assuming you tie right handed...you are still tying the rib in backwards. Wrap it the same way/direction you wrap your thread, body, etc. See a fly in progress of mine below.

724415998_DSC_0018(2).thumb.JPG.fc6fe1eccf6440c33d4a5cab1129545c.JPG

14 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

still tying the rib in backwards.

Although I don't counter wrap anything, there are many video from tiers on YouTube who do.  It's only "wrong" if it actually affects the durability of the fly.  While counter wrapping CAN make the ribbing loose when tying down, it's not a definite.

What mikechell says is basically true...BUT...wrapping everything in the same direction is easier and usually makes for a more durable fly. I have always erred on the side of caution when it comes to durability!!

Are you wrapping the tinsel from the tag directly on to the body? What I mean is, are you tying the tag tinsel in, wrapping the tag, tying off the tinsel, then tying in another piece of tinsel for the body rib? Or just tying in one piece and wrapping it for the tag and body rib all at once. It looks like the latter to me, but can't say for sure. The "right" way to do this is finish your tinsel tag, tie in your tail materials, tie in a butt if you're using one, tie in the floss for your body, tie in a new piece of tinsel for the rib, wrap the floss body, then wrap the body rib tinsel. 

I hope that makes sense, and if you are already doing what I described, then disregard my comments. Looks like you are making progress though!

flykid is absolutely spot on with this. After looking at your flies I think he picked up on what you are doing and following his instructions will make for a much better fly.

Good point, Flytire. If you're going to use the same piece of tinsel, that would be the way to do it. I think the key is tying it off after you wrap the tag. But if you're just wrapping tag straight into body rib with no tie off, I think that's where you'll get problems both aesthetically and functionally. 

Landon, it would be good for you to watch through some videos like the one Flytire posted if you haven't already. Follow those steps and you can build those skills learning from people who have been there and can suggest proper technique. 

It may work...but personally I don't care for the look and I tend to believe it would not be as durable as tying the tag off then using another piece of tinsel for the rib, and durability is paramount if you are tying flies for fishing. I'll also add if there is a tail involved it complicates the matter further. Just my $.02.

Thanks flytire I'm working on one right now. It has a gold french tinsel tag and rib with a silver body. Red fibers at the throat and it will have a blue and white bucktail wing. Gonna give this one to my aunt if it turns out!

20200803_113539-01.jpeg