Fly Tying
troutmaster08

Best Finder Flies

What are your favorite flies for locating fish. Mine are the leadwing and royal coachman. Just wanting to know what I should tie to find and catch more fish.

Brown hackle peacock. Very simple to tie- wet fly hook,  black thread, red yarn tail, wrap with 2-3 strands of peacock herl, brown or ginger hackle. Wrap the herl around the thread as you wind, lasts longer.

BrownHacklePeacock.JPG

For dries I'd say mine is a Stimulator. Mainly because stones can be on the water at just about anytime so fish will usually take them when they see them, they are big enough to get attention, and they float like corks so easy to see/fish in all water types.

For me the Royal Coachman and Elk Hair Caddis are great locator flies if the water is thigh deep or less.  For subsurface locators I like larger winged wets including the Royal Coachman.  I swing them down stream or fish them like a streamer with 6" strips. 

For dries, more or less what DFoster and Steeldrifter said, although I like to tie on a deer hair hopper (Dave's or Gartside's).  And swinging streamers, which I have been doing alot more of this year, Grizzly Kings especially.  Don't know why I didn't do it more often in the past, as they can be really productive and great fun.  

Most times use a CDC and Elk or a midge pattern.  Logic behind that is there are more caddis and midges than mayflies on a lot of the creeks I fish and on the one that have a lot of hatches.  A lot of times I miss them.  Subsurface, a PT Nymph, I did use a Green Weenie, but have swapped that out for a bright green mop fly, picture below.  I also like a size 16 White River Demon(white woolly bugger)

P3130134 (3).JPG