Fly Tying
DarrellP

Web vs print for tying instructions

I was looking at fly patterns in a book and tried to enlarge it by spreading my fingers over the photo like I do on my tablet screen.  What a weird development.  Amusing.

I really enjoy fly tying books and have a pretty good library, but I find myself going to the web more and more often.  I find that Youtube is most helpful if you stay away from the "yahoo" crowd.  Some of the people on here (Norm and others) have put in a ton of time on their websites and they offer great, expandable photos as well.  Another good point is that I can  enlarge the font on my computer, as my eyes weaken.

I don't think that books are going away,  (i certainly hope not) but our relationship with them seems to be changing.  Also, print media has fallen on hard times to some degree.  Many of my subscriptions are on-line now, if offered, because I don't want to deal with storage of the magazines. I do wonder what using the computer so much (looking at screens) is doing to our brains.  I have seen published data that it is not all benign.  

Do you go to digital sources of information, or a book first when seeking information on fly tying?

I've got a good collection of books myself and I like them a lot.  I do go to the intenet searching for new patterns (still pictures).  I still can't watch a video on fly tying.

I love my books, but honestly, it's so much easier to find what I want by just typing it in and poof, just like magic it's there.

Hi I do use the computer for information but could recommend the following books    (FRENCH FISHING FLIES ) - VERY EFFECTIVE FLIES ( NORTH COUNTRY SPIDERS) by Rodger Fogg very effective flies very easy to tie. Vince Marino ( IN THE RING OF A RISE ).   Oliver Edwards ( A FLY TIERS MASTER CLASS)  very good.  Darrell Martins ( MICRO PATTERNS) excellent   Helen Shaws.  ( FLY TYING MATERIALS AND TYING METHODS) an award winning American fly tying teacher the book is illustrated  with Black and white photographs from the tiers view point. Excellent book.  ( THE HAND BOOK OF FLY TYING) BY PETER GATHERCOLE.    (A GUIDE TO RIVER TROUT FLIES) BY JOHN ROBERTS  (FLY TYING METHODS) BY DARREL MARTIN.  (CADDIS FLIES) GARY LA FOUNTAINE.  (TROUT ON A NYMPH) BY JOHN ROBERTS. (FLYFISHING FOR GRAYLING) BY JOHN ROBERTS  (WHAT THE TROUT SAID) By Datus Proper. ( ABOUT FLIE DESIGN AND OTHER MYSTERIES THE REVISED VERSION.  (RIVER FLY-FISHING THE COMPLETE GUIDE) BY PETER LAPSLEY IT INCLUDES PLATES OF FLIES USED HOPE THIS IS ENOUGH TO GET YOUR HEAD ROUND THEY ARE ALL EXCELLENT BOOKS A LIBURAY OF INFORMATION HAVE FUN

Kind regards Steve 😉 

books

Fly-Tying-Books.jpg

and i also research fly patterns on the web

i'll bookmark patterns that i like and for others i'll make a microsoft word document that will go in appropriate folders on my computers hard drive

folders

folders.jpgfolders-2.jpg

word document

word-doc.jpg

i'll also post flies ive tied on my blog

i'm a little extreme or anal , but i'm sure someone will have a problem with what i like to do

I’m a more productive tier when I use a book. When I use the internet I tend to surf the way 5 people have done it. It’s easy to spend a long time watching tying videos on you tube. 
just my 2 cents

I preferer printed publications be it book or magazines, I do use the internet but sadly I am not as savvy as I should be. My personal logs or catalog(s) consist of hand written notes of hooks, materials, and notes for my most tied fly patterns with a copy of a master for reference. I long to develop a electronic file that is easier to use, planning to start playing with some type of system this winter once the snow flies and I no longer need to leave the house.   

I just switched from a printed newspaper to a digital paper. I must say I was having morning withdrawal at first but after a few short months I have no idea why I klinged to dirty newspapers I had to retrieve from my driveway. Books are slow and take up a lot of space. My house has been totally debooked. Much prefer looking patterns up on the internet be it a video or a digital version. Lots of fly fishing/tying mung  out there with everybody being a keyboard hero but it's a trade off I'm okay with. 

i too would bookmark and catalog things but that just turned into a digital mess on my computer and every aspect of my life needs to be as uncluttered as I can make it. It's just soothing to my psyche to have google store it for my instaneous retrieval when I need it. 

Books plus internet. 

Currently I'm (slowly) filling up two general purpose fly boxes using David Hughes' Essential Trout Flies (book), which I hope will be truly functional on the stream once I can travel again. (I've struggled with a chaotic fly collection.) On the way I figure it will also help round out my trout fly skill set before moving on to some of the more esoteric stuff I am itching to do. As I get to each pattern in the book I use the internet to see how others are tying the same pattern, and try out different methods. I also use the Benchside Reference (and this forum) for various details whenever I have a question. I'm constantly learning and relearning.

I love books but i keep it limited now.   Few pattern books and others are technique.   One i wont give up is an autographed Lefty Kreh saltwater fly pattern book.   

But most of my patterns come off youtube and databases like faol,  and here.   

I still prefer books, but will search online too for tying information. I almost hate watching video's because I have to wait for what I need to find out. I can look at a photo of a fly in a book and figure out a lot of the tying, but can't do that with a video unless I spend time trying to find the point in the video that gives me what I'm needing. I guess video's are great for some, but are annoying to me. 

Norm, superb collection! 👍 👍 I think we had a discussion here at one time about books.  I have a good number too, mostly pattern books. Unfortunately, some of mine are still sitting in boxes from when I moved here back in 2015. I don't have a place for them yet. I have & will sometimes pick up a few used books that spark my interest. 

@chugbug27 and @tidewaterfly

thanks

i too still buy fly tying books that peak my interest but i try to find good quality used ones instead of new books

another option is getting free tying books using kindle from amazon

sample of my bookmark folders

bookmarks.jpg

When it comes to reading I much prefer books to a computer screen .  But when it comes to learning a skill, unless I have access to a living, breathing instructor the easiest way for me is youtube.  In the early 90's I rebuilt the top end of a Harley Davidson engine, pistons, rings, gaskets (I'm not a trained mechanic).   Working with only a shop Manuel to guide me the project took most of the winter to finish.  I'm certain youtube  would have cut that time in half or better not to mention reducing the stress that comes with being unsure about what you're doing. 

I have two fly tying books. I don't need a big library as the books supply anything I need. Plus, I only tie 6-8 flies anyway. A couple of them are in the memory file between my ears. I have looked online but rather read the book's recipe and go from there.