Fly Tying
Poopdeck

I'm staying in the boat

Because of the mid 90's heat wave we have had for the last couple weeks I have not been taking the boat out. I went wading with my waders after dinner one night and tonight I went out after dinner wet wading because of the oppressive heat. Did okay on sunnies but no bass. While taking my boots off at the truck I found a tick on my shirt and immediately felt a couple hundred more phantom ticks crawling on every inch of my body. Ticks skieve me out. I hate ticks. I'm not leaving the boat from here on out. 

That happens every time I get a tick! One day I had this awful dream while sleeping in the car- I dreamed my headrest turned into a massive bundle of ticks just as I put my head down on it.

I got a favorite area on lower PearlRiver east of Nawlins  to bass bug mostly cuz it’s a swamp and most time your in the shade in the back waters. Problem close by is CajunEncounters swamp tour.  Nothing worse than gators not afraid of people cuz they feed them.   Never had an encounter with one of the brutes but head is on a swivel in my 14’ boat.    They have kayak rentals there too😳🥴    So staying in the boat and make sure the boat is big enough.  Draw bridge in background.  👍

There’s a LymeDisease in my dogs compliment of shots each year.   Wonder if they have one for people?

1A7281E0-9EB7-4C22-A9A0-😆08096009B3D9.pn[/url

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

immediately felt a couple hundred more phantom ticks crawling on every inch of my body.

😄😄😄 Even though I'm laughing at ya, I gotta admit I know the feeling lol. Anytime I find one on me I'm always itching and rubbing my arms for quite a while afterwards 😁

I friggin' hate those lil buggers. I got that one in my side last May that was on me for at least a day and bore itself halfway into me before I found it there. Took over a month for the 3" dia red swelling to go down. And believe it or not I still have a very small scar from where it was even today 13 months later, Nasty little sobs'.

I hate a damn tick. I got Lymes disease from a tick a few years back and they have given me the creepy crawlies ever since. As a matter of fact, I feel them on me just from reading this post.😵

10 hours ago, denduke said:

There’s a Lyme Disease in my dogs compliment of shots each year.   Wonder if they have one for people?

Not to my knowledge. A local medical center research team developed a Lyme Disease vaccine but it was withdrawn from the market.

12 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

😄😄😄 Even though I'm laughing at ya, I gotta admit I know the feeling lol. Anytime I find one on me I'm always itching and rubbing my arms for quite a while afterwards 😁

I friggin' hate those lil buggers. I got that one in my side last May that was on me for at least a day and bore itself halfway into me before I found it there. Took over a month for the 3" dia red swelling to go down. And believe it or not I still have a very small scar from where it was even today 13 months later, Nasty little sobs'.

Steve  I got Lyme from a tick a few years back.  About a month after I was bitten I thankfully developed the well known "bullseye" rash.  Because of the rash I caught it quick, left untreated Lyme is no joke and can disable you.   My doctor said a lot of people don't get the rash so they don't know they have it.  His advice to me was to get tested anytime a tick attaches it's self.  I also still have the scar from where the little bastard got me!

While I never got the bullseye (just red) I also had no symptoms at all and it's been a year so I doubt I had anything other than just a reaction to the bite location. 

Another good reason to stay in the boat. I'm mad at my boat right now, it still don't work good. When my boat comes in, I'm gettin' a better boat.

I don't hike in with my buddies anymore when they head to one of their favorite hidden lakes in the Poconos.  I'll sit on the dock and fish.   My friend almost died from Lyme Disease over 15 years ago, before I had met her.  It was mis-diagnosed and she ended up in the ICU.   I had the bullseye rash but went to my PCP and he immediately prescribed the antibiotic that stops it.  A 30 day regime.  They do creep me out.  My last encounter with a tick was weird.  I was sitting in what use to be our family dinning room.  I'm the only one in the house and I use the table for my computer.   Anyway, I feel something crawling on my head.  I grabbed it, it felt like a spider, which also creep me out,  when I put it on the table it was tick.  I used a lighter to eliminate it, and tried to figure out how it got on my head.  I hadn't been out in my back yard or anywhere I might have picked one up    Still haven't figured out how it ended up on my head.

Ticks are creepy ... and like those above, give me the creepy crawlies when I get one.  I'm pulling clothes off right there in public to check for more.

Philly, all you gotta do is brush by a plant.  They hang from the tips of leaves and such, waiting for a passing body to brush off onto.  It crawled from your clothes ... you just didn't notice it until got where you DID feel it.

BUT ... down here, ticks are just part of life.  You're outside, you'll contact a few.  What really freaks me are fire ants.  I've stepped in them several times, and it's a painful experience every time.  They live close to water.  When the water rises, they "raft" and float until they hit solid ground again.  Touching a boat is the same as solid ground, and suddenly your boat is covered with a swarm of fire ants looking for a place to hide the queen.

Have only had three instances of ticks in 72 years. Had one with fire ants in Louisiana. That was one too many. I'm allergic to wasp and white face hornet stings.

I'd rather get bit by fire ants then find bloated ticks embedded in areas of the body I don't see to much of during a normal day. At least until I'm actually being bitten by fire ants. Than I'd probably take the bloated ticks. Man I hate ticks, fire ants and alligators. At least we don't have alligators in my parts and if and when we do I'm getting a bigger boat. I was going to head out for some night catfishing from the boat to beat the oppressive upper 90's heat and humidity until I discovered I have a non working navigational light and I don't have any oil. Dang it! I'm heading to Richmond on Friday so I won't be able to fix it and buy oil until Monday at the earliest. At least my air conditioning hasn't broke.