Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Unique catch yesterday.

I was fishing a pond yesterday. On I cast i must have hooked a dragonfly. When it hit the water a bass hit it.

I did not hook the bass, but when I got he fly back in there was some of the dragon fly body caught in a few loops of my leader. 

Must have wrapped around the dragon fly on the back cast. 

Did get bass, bluegill and a few crappie.

Rick 

The most unique things I've caught were a seagull and a beaver. The sea gull was caught by the mouth so no problem. The beaver was snagged by the base of the tail so I had to let it go to avoid problem with F&G. We have a snagging law in fresh water here. As you might expect, he did put up a good fight. Beavers are mean when you drag them backward through the water to a landing net.

I cast a plastic worm and had a vulture fly under the line.  The line caught it at the shoulder and when the lure reach it the hook just got it's wing.  Down into the water it went.  Drug it out and chased it until it tried to duck into some palmettos.  I was able to trap it, get a towel over it's head and get the hook out.

I've caught a few other ... non-water based wildlife, and a few odd water based things.  But I have to say, the vulture rates as my weirdest catch.

11 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I cast a plastic worm and had a vulture fly under the line.  The line caught it at the shoulder and when the lure reach it the hook just got it's wing.  Down into the water it went.  Drug it out and chased it until it tried to duck into some palmettos.  I was able to trap it, get a towel over it's head and get the hook out.

I've caught a few other ... non-water based wildlife, and a few odd water based things.  But I have to say, the vulture rates as my weirdest catch.

Wow

I caught a bat a few years ago fly fishing in Vermont, snagged it in the wing I think, it was able to release itself flopping on the ground (thank goodness for barbless hooks) when it hit the ground.  I've never caught a live insect, but just a few weeks ago I caught someone's fly and tippet.  The lost tippet got caught up in my fly's head/knot.  My smallest catch yet.  

IMG-20200628-084150.jpg

A long time ago, just after the earth cooled, I lived in Zanesville, OH. Dillon Dam was under construction so Dad and I found that yellow perch were spawning in the riprap below the spillway. Dad made a cast an his fly hit the water for just an instant. When he made his forward cast, a yellow perch had grabbed the fly. First time I saw a flying fish. BTW, we were fishing with a McGinty.

Oh, speaking of Dragon Flies, I've never caught one.  BUT,  I've had several times when a Dragon Fly caught my fly and carried it a few feet to one side or another.  Gets really irritating when a perfect cast is suddenly moves to the side and lands where you didn't want it to.

43 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Oh, speaking of Dragon Flies, I've never caught one.  BUT,  I've had several times when a Dragon Fly caught my fly and carried it a few feet to one side or another.  Gets really irritating when a perfect cast is suddenly moves to the side and lands where you didn't want it to.

Yeah Mike, thats what usually happens to my perfect casts.  

Ha, only joking.  Actually, when casting at my local lake I've often thought it looked like the dragonflies sometimes followed my fly, you've just confirmed it.  

I've never caught a dragonfly before but they often chase my fly back and forth as I cast, and sometimes I hear a crackle when the fly clips their wings.

I like it when the dragonflies hang around me, they keep the mosquitoes away 😁

I've got a couple of sea gulls to my credit.  Both caught on a Crease Fly.  After I landed them, they were really ungrateful when I was trying to unhook them.  Fortunately, they were young ones and didn't pack much of a peck.  I never caught a dragon fly but I shot one with a BB gun when I was a kid.   It had landed on a bush at my grandmother's little farm and I took a shot at it.  It didn't move so I went over to look at.  Didn't move.  It was still clinging to the bush with a round hole in its thorax where the BB went through.

Dragon Flies are cool.   I was getting ready to fish the Black River in central Vermont.   When I get to stream side I usually find a rock to sit on and observe the stream for about 15 minutes or so.  I looked at a rock a couple of feet from me and there were dragon fly nymphs crawling out of the stream and climbing up the rock.   I picked one of them to watch.  It stopped climbing and I watched as the nymph skin split and the dragon fly struggled to get out.  It was almost out and I stuck my finger in front of it and it crawled on to it.   It was looked soft, dull, the wings  straight along the body.  I'm not sure how long it took, but I watched the body harden and change to a dark blue, the wings stiffen and spread out to the side.  Then it took off.  I didn't know it at the time, but I was practicing Mindful Meditation.  

Never hooked a dragonfly or a bird of any kind. Probably the most odd thing I have caught was a lamprey. Snagged one of those while steelhead fishing a number of years ago. Grossest thing I have ever pulled out of a river. I beat it with a rock after unhooking it 😄

Once when we were Marlin fishing, we had a pelican dive bomb a 18 inch long Marlin bait. There wasn't anything we could do except throw the reel into free spool and hope the bird dropped the bait. He didn't. When the drag came tight on the 200 yards of line in the water, the bird cartwheeled azz over teakettle into the water. We hand lined him in and managed not to get killed by that sharp beak. We got him under control and wrapped him in a towel, then worked the hook out of his pouch. He had a 6 inch tear in his pouch that we stitched up with a rigging needle and some waxed rigging thread. We kept him on the boat for a bit then let him go. He never said thanks

11 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

Once when we were Marlin fishing, we had a pelican dive bomb a 18 inch long Marlin bait. There wasn't anything we could do except throw the reel into free spool and hope the bird dropped the bait. He didn't. When the drag came tight on the 200 yards of line in the water, the bird cartwheeled azz over teakettle into the water. We hand lined him in and managed not to get killed by that sharp beak. We got him under control and wrapped him in a towel, then worked the hook out of his pouch. He had a 6 inch tear in his pouch that we stitched up with a rigging needle and some waxed rigging thread. We kept him on the boat for a bit then let him go. He never said thanks

The mad pelican.

From that day  on, whenever the other pelicans mentioned his scar, he'd come up with a story ... but "Why so serious" always came into play.

"Why so serious?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWU6QIPWee1Ur9Juryc78

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

The mad pelican.

Yea, maybe I should change my name..ha ha. That pelican was really pizzed. Those bills have a nasty little hook on the end of that bill,  its SHARP and they know how to use it. It didnt want us handling him at all. We got a towel over his eyes and he calmed down some, then wrapped his body up too. After that, he was pretty mellow. He didn't even flinch when I sewed him up.. We unwrapped him and set him on the gunnel. He sat there a few, crapped on the gunnel and then flew off