Fly Tying
Landon P

YouTube Video Ideas

My only idea is for you to talk and walk the viewer through. For example talk about problems you have commonly run into with the fly. Help the tyers who have not been watching as long. The channels I learned from are the ones I still watch today. Teaching people leaves them with an all around good experience and they are more likely to subscribe and become frequent watchers. I dont have a channel but did recently subscribe to your channel. Love the content, keep it up!

hi try( fly of the week )  frank sawyers nymphes,  north country spiders, soft hackle wet flies, tenkara flies,euro nymphing flies, steelhead flies, salmon flies, pike and muskie flies hope this help,s for you to revieve your you tube channel

kind regards Steve 

I like that fly of the week idea! As for the talking Idea I'm not so sure, not sure I have that much confidence

12 minutes ago, Landon P said:

I like that fly of the week idea! As for the talking Idea I'm not so sure, not sure I have that much confidence

I hear ya. I once tried to make a tying video for my friend and when I hit play it felt so unnatural talking while no one was talking to me.

If I looked at the right channel ... You haven't posted anything new for a month.  You're not losing subscribers, you're just not gaining any.  (Granted, some might be unsubscribing, but that's always going to happen)  You need to keep new material coming if you want to maintain and grow your follower base.

What kind of following do you want?  New tiers that are learning how?  Existing tiers looking for something new?  Old hat tiers just watching content because they've run out of impetus and are looking for inspiration?  I'm guessing the best way to GAIN subscribers, is to present something different.  You'll HAVE to talk to them.  No one is going to listen to "free" music backgrounds forever.  It's "free" music because it's not worth paying for.  Elevators and hold music is free, too.

Keep the videos short, but entertaining.  Fly tying videos, I like yours.  Quick, easy to follow, no unnecessary explanations.  But then follow up with a trip to the closest waterway to show the fly in action.  Even if you're catching small fish, a fly that catches fish is worth more to tie than one that no one's proven will do anything.   Label your videos, "The <fly name> and the fish it caught!" or something along those lines.  People like to be entertained ... not just informed. 

I hate to admit it, but click bait is sometimes needed.  I don't mean pictures, but even titles.  One of your videos is, "Very beautiful fly that I tied today."  What the heck does that mean?  You think it's beautiful?  Doesn't mean everyone does.  It's a beautiful pattern you tried to duplicate?  Just doesn't inspire, "Ooh, let me watch that."  A click bait title would just be, "I think this is beautiful!"  Now, the person seeing that title is immediately thinking, "What?  What is beautiful?"

Your page title is "Pokey's flies".  No one's coming in there to see car crash videos.  But your video titles should provoke ... since that's what will draw people to open them in the first place.  Let the hashtags get them to the right people ... let the titles draw everyone.

And build up some confidence and talk.  look up some good one liners and throw some in there to keep 'em entertained.  You said, on another thread, that you're not a good story teller.  You can be, just need to practice.  10 years from now, you'll be celebrating your 1,000,000th subscriber by going back and dredging up those first attempts, and laughing at yourself.

Oh, and type out scripts.  It is MUCH easier to tell a story if you know what you're going to say.  Talking, just for the sake of talking always leaves the speaker with nothing to say.  "Um" is NOT a good way to fill the silences or bide time thinking of the next thing.  I HATE hearing that, over and over again during a speech or presentation.

Script your videos, then do voice overs without "um's" and "uh's" and such nonsense.

Good luck!

I've given this suggestion to TIER, but he didn't take it... It's a good idea, yours for the taking...

FAOL has a terrific, free SBS style tutorial.http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php

It is screaming for a companion series of videos to supplement it as tiers go through the FAOL course. And the lessons are basic enough where I'm sure you could do a superlative job of it. You could even host an on-line comments page for it, with Q&A, and invite established tyers to chime in and give their own video or typed feedback.

A suggestion would be to contact FAOL for their consent, though I don't see how they could require it. More to make sure you're in their good graces than anything else. As your skills improve you can re-make the vids you think aren't up to snuff.

My 2¢ again...

Try posting gear reviews for anything new that you get for fishing or tying (like your Rite Bobbin)- Rods, reels, vest, vise Anything.  Do a video about what you like and dislike and would you buy it again.  I always look at youtube reviews from non sponsored folks when I'm in the market for something.

Good luck!

31 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Oh, and type out scripts.  It is MUCH easier to tell a story if you know what you're going to say.  Talking, just for the sake of talking always leaves the speaker with nothing to say.  "Um" is NOT a good way to fill the silences or bide time thinking of the next thing.  I HATE hearing that, over and over again during a speech or presentation.

Script your videos, then do voice overs without "um's" and "uh's" and such nonsense.

Good luck!

Yes PLEASE write a script for what you want to say-  Great advice!

Also once you get started some of the work will be done for you. Get a solid base to get a subscriber count and then as you post new videos they will be more viewed and more attractive to the viewer.

23 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

I've given this suggestion to TIER, but he didn't take it... It's a good idea, yours for the taking...

FAOL has a terrific, free SBS style tutorial.http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php

It is screaming for a companion series of videos to supplement it as tiers go through the FAOL course. And the lessons are basic enough where I'm sure you could do a superlative job of it. You could even host an on-line comments page for it, with Q&A, and invite established tyers to chime in and give their own video or typed feedback.

A suggestion would be to contact FAOL for their consent, though I don't see how they could require it. More to make sure you're in their good graces than anything else. As your skills improve you can re-make the vids you think aren't up to snuff.

My 2¢ again...

Chugbug I'm confused by this. Can you explain it on a dumbed down way?

3 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Can you explain it on a dumbed down way?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about, "How to wrap thread on a hook."  Basics, the things that people recommend a live teacher for.  If you could do videos like that, start from "Step one" ... then maybe you can catch some more subscribers.

Get it ... "catch" ... fishing site, so "catch" subscri ... oh, never mind !!!

😁

im not into watching tying videos in the fast forward mode. others may be fine with it

some of your videos have materials and others dont. go back and add recipes

ditch the flashing colors

spelling errors in the video title

tie flies in a horizontal position not vertical

if you cant tie and talk at the same time, do a voice over but tone down the music

bait/worm hooks?