Fly Tying
Landon P

YouTube Video Ideas

Not bad at all, I personally like the time lapse approach. However, somebody tying the fly for the first time might need more. I echo the suggestions with including voiceover. If you're not confident with that, the script suggestion can help. You might also want to consider recording the voice over afterwards and editing it in, whether it is your own voice or a friends. Regardless, it can feel awkward at first, but the more you do it, the more you'll be comfortable with it. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself. 

Give it some more personality... that's what will keep people hooked. Be you in your videos. I like Davie McPhail's channel not just for the videos, but his accent and humble tone is somewhat destressing. Tightline Productions does a great job with their post-production voice overs and the occasional subtle joke he adds gives it a bit of flair (and causes my wife's eye to roll). Find your own niche and have fun with it. If your genuine enjoyment of it comes through, I bet you'll hook more people. Like with writing and most other creative pursuits, do it because you love it first and foremost and that greatly increases your chances of success.  

Regular content is also crucial, as others have said. When someone subscribes, they will have the notification of a new video and be more likely to watch. Slow channels just sit there and can be forgotten. Also, promote it big time, which is easier said than done when first starting out. Post your videos here (nerve racking I know, this can be a tough audience) and/or on other fly fishing forums, FB groups, etc. If you live in a small town, perhaps even getting a local TV channel or newspaper to do a story on your channel once you get a few more subscribers and also considerably more content put up. 

Good luck and keep it going. Remember, it's supposed to be fun. Don't lose that aspect of it. 

be aware that whatever fly you want to video, its probably already has been done. you have to find a way to make your video stand out from the others

theres tons of videos on tying a griffiths gnat or gold ribbed hares ear nymph. make yous better. add a new component to the fly. add a photo of a fish you caught on the fly youre tying.

if youre goin to create a script for your videos, dont read it like a robot.

you said you dont want to be like tim flagler of tightline videos. well why not? thats the highest level of quality fly tying videos on you tube. it would be something to try and achieve that quality and not just being a soso tyer and video maker.

take a little time and go back to each one of your videos and add the flies recipe in the "show me" area so other tyers can get/buy the components of your fly

Landon, I just watched a couple of your videos.  You tie good flies.  I don't understand the "rush" (it's a little like "fast-forwarding" through a movie).   Good luck with your channel, and have fun! : )

Bill (Bill_729)

1 hour ago, flytire said:

you said you dont want to be like tim flagler of tightline videos. well why not?

I think the term, "Be different" and "... don't want to be like Tim Flagler" are similar thought processes.  I'm pretty sure Landon would like to be as good as Flagler, without duplicating his style.

But flytire, as usual, has a good point.  You can emulate others who are doing well on their videos with your own style that makes yours different.  But watching how those successful YouTubers present themselves and their project will give you a base to launch from.

I actually like the time lapses to an extent because I prefer shorter, more concise videos--eight to fifteen minutes is normally about right. I normally watch videos more for inspiration than to copy the exact pattern, so a balance of cuts, time-lapses through certain parts (perhaps dubbing, hackle winding, and other procedures that are fairly "well-known"), and normal speed playback would make an ideal video for me. I do understand where others are coming from in liking normal speed videos though, especially when learning a new or difficult technique, or just to have the pleasure of watching a really good tier work their magic. I will admit that I watched many, many normal speed tying videos all the way through when I was starting out (and I still do sometimes), and they were invaluable to me when I was learning to tie, but IMHO that "genre" is a little overdone, and the best way to be successful is to find your own niche, be unique, and stand out.

I agree with what many others have said about telling the story of the the fly as well. Show some pictures or videos of the water your fish it in, the fish you catch, and tell us why you chose to tie this fly/why you used the techniques and materials you did. I personally really love a combined tying and fishing format, but there aren't many video-makers out there doing that that I have found. Telling the story doesn't necessarily mean talking in your videos either, there are other methods like captions, well-placed cuts, and music that fits just right. That said, some talking in your videos would help a lot, and a script or at least an outline makes it a lot easier if you are uncomfortable with that.

Anyways, best of luck with your channel, and don't forget to have fun with it, you are off to a very good start!

9 minutes ago, Justin H said:

I agree with what many others have said about telling the story of the the fly as well.

This is a great idea, also.  As a history buff from long before I started tying, I enjoy hearing a brief history of a fly, even if its only one small tidbit.  I'm going to shut up now.   You asked for, and received a boatload of great advice, be careful you're head doesn't explode.   

3 hours ago, flytire said:

be aware that whatever fly you want to video, its probably already has been done. you have to find a way to make your video stand out from the others

theres tons of videos on tying a griffiths gnat or gold ribbed hares ear nymph. make yous better. add a new component to the fly. add a photo of a fish you caught on the fly youre tying.

if youre goin to create a script for your videos, dont read it like a robot.

you said you dont want to be like tim flagler of tightline videos. well why not? thats the highest level of quality fly tying videos on you tube. it would be something to try and achieve that quality and not just being a soso tyer and video maker.

take a little time and go back to each one of your videos and add the flies recipe in the "show me" area so other tyers can get/buy the components of your fly

I didnt really want to be like him because I wanted to be original. I didn't want someone to watch it and be like oh wow all he did was copy tim. 

3 hours ago, Landon P said:

I didnt really want to be like him because I wanted to be original. I didn't want someone to watch it and be like oh wow all he did was copy tim. 

i think you missed my point

i said "you said you dont want to be like tim flagler of tightline videos. well why not? thats the highest level of quality fly tying videos on you tube. it would be something to try and achieve that quality and not just being a soso tyer and video maker.

13 minutes ago, flytire said:

i think you missed my point

i said "you said you dont want to be like tim flagler of tightline videos. well why not? thats the highest level of quality fly tying videos on you tube. it would be something to try and achieve that quality and not just being a soso tyer and video maker.

I totally missed the point. Thanks for repeating that. 

3 hours ago, Landon P said:

@mikechellhow much clickbait should I use? I tied a salmon fly and cant figure out a title. 

Don't lie.  Everyone hates click-bait that's a complete lie.   This is not a lie... "The girls should love this."  ... since female trout are larger, thus more desirable to catch, right?

Just an example.  Sorry, I know I said to come up with catchy titles ... but after a busy day like I've had, my imagination is asleep already.

2 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Don't lie.  Everyone hates click-bait that's a complete lie.   This is not a lie... "The girls should love this."  ... since female trout are larger, thus more desirable to catch, right?

Just an example.  Sorry, I know I said to come up with catchy titles ... but after a busy day like I've had, my imagination is asleep already.

No problem Mike. Is it to much of a lie to say first salmon fly even tho it's the 2nd? 

Ahhhh, losing subscribers, a problem that has been going on with me for a long time. There is one thing that I have learned, and that is POST REGULARLY. Make posting every 5 days a goal. And, What i am taking out of this is that you have no video ideas. Yes, improvement on quality would help, but you also need ideas, so here are some.

You should try making more dry flies. Try making a blue dun, goodard caddis, or a black gnat.

Or, you can make panfish flys.

Or big streamers, like wooly buggers.

Or saltwater flies.

Brainstorm your ideas and write them down, and keep them somewhere where you can find them.

31 minutes ago, TIER said:

Ahhhh, losing subscribers, a problem that has been going on with me for a long time. There is one thing that I have learned, and that is POST REGULARLY. Make posting every 5 days a goal. And, What i am taking out of this is that you have no video ideas. Yes, improvement on quality would help, but you also need ideas, so here are some.

You should try making more dry flies. Try making a blue dun, goodard caddis, or a black gnat.

Or, you can make panfish flys.

Or big streamers, like wooly buggers.

Or saltwater flies.

Brainstorm your ideas and write them down, and keep them somewhere where you can find them.

Thanks