Fly Tying
Landon P

YouTube Video Ideas

My two cents.

First you need to sit on a stump and figure out exactly what YOU want to accomplish with Youtube.    

Second, you need to figure out your intended audience.

Third, you need to over-communicate.  Voice, captions, lists.  One pet peeve of mine is recipe's.  Always list what you use and perhaps discuss alternatives.

Be sure to always give credit to the original creator of the pattern, if known.  This is just common courtesy.

I like Chug's idea of FAOL tie along videos.

Perhaps you could also do some reviews.  For instance, I think we all like FTD products.  Not a lot of videos about them.  They are great substitutes for more expensive products, and some are unique.  You might make a video using their product and send it to them.  They might help you get an audience by connecting to you.  That is one example.  Another might be finding synthetic substitutes to tie old standby flies.  Another would be a series on frugal fly tying.  Use of cheap materials.  Think Mikechell.  (half joking),

Don't worry, just be yourself and you won't look like you are copying anyone.  However, study different videos and steal what you like and avoid what you don't/

Good luck and don't quit!

Idea

I am missing the opportunity for fly tying in groups like at our library. This social distancing thing. What if you did a project where you pick a super common fly and had as many tiers as possible put footage in Drop Box for you. You could pick what footage looks good. You could cut from one person to the next like 10-15 seconds and post the state the flyer is from on screen during the short part of the video they are in. Like one guy pulls out his vise, then cut to another guy who puts a hook on, so on and so on. Start with you and end with you completing the fly. Might be too much work editing but would be a cool bring the community together project.

Pbass ... you're correct that it would be a pain in the butt to collect and edit a tying video like that.  But you're also correct that it's an AWESOME idea.  Would be really cool to see, but what an investment in time and effort !!!

On 7/23/2020 at 12:47 PM, chugbug27 said:

I've given this suggestion to TIER, but he didn't take it... It's a good idea, yours for the taking...

FAOL has a terrific, free SBS style tutorial.http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php

It is screaming for a companion series of videos to supplement it as tiers go through the FAOL course. And the lessons are basic enough where I'm sure you could do a superlative job of it. You could even host an on-line comments page for it, with Q&A, and invite established tyers to chime in and give their own video or typed feedback.

A suggestion would be to contact FAOL for their consent, though I don't see how they could require it. More to make sure you're in their good graces than anything else. As your skills improve you can re-make the vids you think aren't up to snuff.

My 2¢ again...

Chug I reached out to Neil Travis the editor and owner of FAOL and here is what I got back.

Landon,

Most of the patterns that you find on our site were contributed by individual authors. I cannot give you permission to use their instructions without contacting each individual personally. Some of them are dead and some I have no way of contacting them.

Good luck in your fly tying.

Neil M. Travis

Also putting together a collection of "Know your basics fly tying videos" 

10 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

That's not so helpful, huh? A little internet research turned up Brett Burgher of Rapids City as Mr. & Mrs. Campbell's surviving son. Maybe run it by him, see if the family would appreciate it or not.

https://m.facebook.com/live2ride

Thanks again chug. i will run it by them. More videos coming soon. 

Hey @Landon P, I messed up. Sorry. It looks like you DO need the written consent of the author's estate in order to make that video. I still think it's a good idea, but don't get yourself in any trouble doing it.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf 

Sorry for the rabbit hole.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:57 PM, Pbass said:

Idea

I am missing the opportunity for fly tying in groups like at our library. This social distancing thing. What if you did a project where you pick a super common fly and had as many tiers as possible put footage in Drop Box for you. You could pick what footage looks good. You could cut from one person to the next like 10-15 seconds and post the state the flyer is from on screen during the short part of the video they are in. Like one guy pulls out his vise, then cut to another guy who puts a hook on, so on and so on. Start with you and end with you completing the fly. Might be too much work editing but would be a cool bring the community together project.

I had the same idea for classes at my shop. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to it. Big job.

All I can say is what I was told by a fly shop out west. I called them and said I was really liking some of their nymphs and especially some of their streamers and I would like to offer some of them to the customers I tie for. I was surprised at the answer. They tie and sell those flies too. I was told this: basically I can sell any fly I want. However, they told me I could not advertise or even post ANY of those flies on the internet. Those flies have his name on it, but places like Umpqua feather merchants or Fulling Mills tie the flies for that shop, and they will have a big issue with it. My message is this, know where that fly came from and who is really selling it. You can’t infringe on contracts that ARE out there. One way around that is to post your own original flies. It can be done. I am designing flies in my head 20 hours a day. But they gotta work. I’ve had some really nice flies in the vice that were not worth 2 cents on the creek. Really throw yourself into this, and every comment above mine should really be listened to as well. If you’re gonna do it, do it big.